cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pctay
Community Participant

Unexpected Error at Collaborations

Jump to solution

Encounter unexpected error when starting a collaboration (At course level > Select Collaborations > click ‘Add Collaboration’ > click ‘Log In’ > “An unexpected Error occurred”).

This error continue even after clicking the "Log in" button. Wondering this login is a login to Canvas or the LTI (Office365/Google).

240369_pastedImage_2.png

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
pctay
Community Participant

Thanks Robbie.

Unfortunately, couldn't find the solution and root cause even a support ticket has submitted. We sort of give up the idea of using Collaboration as it seems unstable to us.

View solution in original post

j_avneri
Community Participant

I found that completing the steps below resolved the 'unexpected error' when trying to create an Office 365 collaboration:

1. Go to the main module/course home page and click on ‘Office 365’ in the module navigation menu on the left, your office 365 files should then appear. Click on 'log out' on the right-hand side. Once logged out sign back in by clicking on 'log in' (you may have to enter your sign in credentials again).
  2. Your office 365 files should appear again signifying that you have logged back in to office 365 within Canvas correctly.
  3. Navigate back to the collaborations section of your module/course and create the collaboration again (you should now be able to create it without the unexpected error).

If this works for anyone let me know. Also avoid any special characters in the collaboration title or spaces at the beginning of the title as I found these also caused the 'unexpected error' to occur when creating a collaboration.

regards

Joe 

13 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@pctay ‌,

First, I want to apologize for your question sitting in the Community for so long without a reply.  It looks like you may have stumped the Community.

Second, were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

I would also recommend contacting Support from the Help > Report a Problem area of Canvas (although at this point it may be too late).

Robbie

pctay
Community Participant

Thanks Robbie.

Unfortunately, couldn't find the solution and root cause even a support ticket has submitted. We sort of give up the idea of using Collaboration as it seems unstable to us.

S9300807
Community Contributor

Our teachers are having the same issue with Office 365.  We have a ticket in the queue. 

canvas38
Community Member

We have reported the same error and have a support ticket to which we receive response like "hickups" and "updating LTI tool". Which are no solution to the issue, so ticket still open.

Regards

Jytte

j_avneri
Community Participant

Hi Jytte,

I have also experienced the 'an unexpected error occurred' - it seems to be intermittent - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Have you had any update on your support ticket?

many thanks

Joe

S9300807
Community Contributor

It’s still “on hold”

arve_mellemstra
Community Member

Hi,

We had this issue aswell, but this was fixed by enabling the OFFICE 365 at course level. 

Best regards 

Arve

Hi Joseph,

yes, indeed we did. Finally, Canvas support understood the problem was NOT related to Azure....Also our CSM had to assist with a key.

The let us know we had to enable the LTI tool Microsoft Office 365 to be used for your Collaborations inside our Canvas.

Here a quote fro their response, which fixed the issue for us (some menu option are displayed in Danish):

"It an external LTI tool that does need to be enabled inside your Account and I would be glad to detail that process.

To do so please go to the Account Settings. There you will see the tab labeled 'Apps'. Click on that tab to access your Account applications that you have enabled and we can search for Apps that have not yet been enabled as well. https://www.screencast.com/t/8VrFpbIO53U To install Office 365 correctly we would need to update the link inside your App Configuration. Click on where it says "Vis-app Konfigurationer". This will bring you to your Account level app configurations. To reconfigure that app click the gear icon next to the MIcrosoft Office 365 app. https://www.screencast.com/t/U6GtGwcg Click Rediger.  This will bring you into the app configuration for that tool, and we would need to make sure that URL is updated. For Canvas schools serviced in other regions worldwide please contact your Canvas Customer Success Manager (CSM) for a region specific key/secret and configuration XML url. Once that has been updated, you would need to install that inside your app configuration under Eksterne app'er. If you are in need of that specific URL that you use to update that app we can include your CSM to provide that for your. Please let us know how this helps or if I can assist further.

Thank you,

Chase S L1 Canvas Support support@instructure.com"

Regards

Jytte

j_avneri
Community Participant

I found that completing the steps below resolved the 'unexpected error' when trying to create an Office 365 collaboration:

1. Go to the main module/course home page and click on ‘Office 365’ in the module navigation menu on the left, your office 365 files should then appear. Click on 'log out' on the right-hand side. Once logged out sign back in by clicking on 'log in' (you may have to enter your sign in credentials again).
  2. Your office 365 files should appear again signifying that you have logged back in to office 365 within Canvas correctly.
  3. Navigate back to the collaborations section of your module/course and create the collaboration again (you should now be able to create it without the unexpected error).

If this works for anyone let me know. Also avoid any special characters in the collaboration title or spaces at the beginning of the title as I found these also caused the 'unexpected error' to occur when creating a collaboration.

regards

Joe