cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anita_playoust
Community Participant

Unlocking a home page for a course

Jump to solution

My students can't seem to access the homepage, modules, pages and all course content even though I have published the course and all the pages. When they click on to the course, they get a message saying they can't access the homepage because it has not been unlocked.

How do i unlock so they can access?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @anita_playoust ​...

In your course "Settings" screen, have you checked to make sure that your Start/End Dates are set properly?  Also, if you scroll down the "Settings" screen a bit more, you'll see a section for "Visibility".  Do you have the option for "Restrict students from viewing course before start date" checked or unchecked?  Another thing to look at is your Modules.  You said that your content in the Modules is published, but are each of your Modules published as well?

Please check on those things and report back to let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @anita_playoust ​...

In your course "Settings" screen, have you checked to make sure that your Start/End Dates are set properly?  Also, if you scroll down the "Settings" screen a bit more, you'll see a section for "Visibility".  Do you have the option for "Restrict students from viewing course before start date" checked or unchecked?  Another thing to look at is your Modules.  You said that your content in the Modules is published, but are each of your Modules published as well?

Please check on those things and report back to let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

View solution in original post

anita_playoust
Community Participant

Thank you so much for that. I have checked all the settings visibility dates etc and all appears to be ok. To publish the module do you have to publish each of the pages or is there another place to do this?

So still not sure what the issue is unfortunately !

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Hi  @anita_playoust ​...

When you look at your "Modules" screen, you should see a little cloud icon to the right of the module name...just like you would see for any of the content under each module.  Make sure that the module itself is also published so that students can view it in your course.  And, yes, each of the content items under each module would also have to be published in order for your students to see them.  Hope this helps!

I like to think of it as doors in a house.

Every component in Canvas needs to be published or students can't see it. These are the interior doors to the various assignments, pages, modules, etc. The front door is publish/unpublish the course. As it doesn't matter if the interior doors are unlocked if they can't get in the front door.

I also call it the agony and the ecstasy of the little grey/green cloud. On one hand it's really great to be able to build in Canvas while the course is live and to be able to do that work without the students seeing it - granularity! control! but you have to remember to publish everything which is an extra step. The save & publish button has gone a long way to relieving the extra steps.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@anita_playoust ​, after applying the recommendations of  @chofer ​ and lse224​, were your students able to access your course home page and other course content?

anita_playoust
Community Participant

Yes thank you

On 19 February 2016 at 00:14, Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

jwright16
Community Member

I am having issues with unlocking the homescreen to Canvas Course in student view. The course is published. I am not sure how to unlock and desperately need help since classes have already started this week. Please is there anyone that can resolve this issue. Thank you for your help.

jrdoctor
Community Member

I am also having problem unlocking the home page of my Canvas community. The home page is published, as are all the interior pages. The visibility is set to "public." The start date is past. But when others try to link to the home page, they get the attached screen saying that “this part of the module hasn’t been unlocked.” There are no modules -- modules are disabled. Thank you for your help solving this problem.