cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jomontuori
Community Contributor

Unplag originality index

Jump to solution

My district uses Unplag plagiarism checker within our instance of Canvas.

One teacher noted that she was previously able to do a spot check of the similarity index within the Canvas Gradebook. Student originality indexes appeared in the corresponding assignment column. No longer.

Now the teacher indicates that she must view the originality index within SpeedGrader, one student at a time. Settings from different assignments appear to be identical, except for the assignment point value. Yet one has the similarity index in the Grading window; the other has a "T" (for text entry) for each student. Does anyone know if this is a change from an Unplag update?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
i_klymenko
Community Participant

Hi, Joe,

Your colleague has reached out to Unplag team for assistance on this issue. I have provided an answer in the email, however, will post it here as well in case anybody else has similar issue:

Unplag LTI app uses a parameter unplag_auto_grade to control whether similarity score is passed to the Canvas Grade book as a grade or not.

unplag_auto_grade = 0 - the score will NOT be passed to the Canvas Grade book. In this scenario, teachers will see a 'T' letter in the gradebook, which indicates 'text submission'. This means that student has submitted the assignment, and it awaits manual grading from the teacher.

unplag_auto_grade = 1 - the score WILL be passed to the Canvas Gradebook. This is the behavior that the teacher is referring to. LTI standard, by default, suggests that external tools do pass grade back to the LMS, however, very often, we have been asked by customers to change the default behavior, basically, to stop feeding the grade by default.

Unplag LTI app settings can be adjusted in the Settings --> Apps --> View App Configurations --> Unplag Plagiarism Checker --> Edit.

Implementation

Now, you need to bear in mind that LTI app can be installed globally (for entire Canvas account; available in all Courses) or locally (in specific courses; same API key/secret can be used).

Ensure that unplag_auto_grade = 1 in order to enable auto grading. However, in case different teachers prefer conflicting behavior (some want the grade to be passed, and some don't), then possible solutions are:

Solution1. Enable auto-grading for global app - then app's behavior will be consistent across all Canvas courses. Easy to implement, but no flexibility for individual courses.

Solution2. Install Unplag app in individual courses in addition to Global app. Then adjust unplag_auto_grade parameter value for the local app to suit teacher's needs.

LTI app settings:

213951_pastedImage_5.png

I recommend Scenario 1 as a main approach, and Scenario 2, as an exception for teachers that absolutely require different behavior other than institution's global default.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @jomontuori , I've shared your question with the Plagiarism​ group. It's a brand-new Community group, and if you're not yet a member, click on the link and then select Join Group from the Actions dropdown at the upper right if you'd like to join.

jomontuori
Community Contributor

Thanks, Stefanie! I'm in!

i_klymenko
Community Participant

Hi, Joe,

Your colleague has reached out to Unplag team for assistance on this issue. I have provided an answer in the email, however, will post it here as well in case anybody else has similar issue:

Unplag LTI app uses a parameter unplag_auto_grade to control whether similarity score is passed to the Canvas Grade book as a grade or not.

unplag_auto_grade = 0 - the score will NOT be passed to the Canvas Grade book. In this scenario, teachers will see a 'T' letter in the gradebook, which indicates 'text submission'. This means that student has submitted the assignment, and it awaits manual grading from the teacher.

unplag_auto_grade = 1 - the score WILL be passed to the Canvas Gradebook. This is the behavior that the teacher is referring to. LTI standard, by default, suggests that external tools do pass grade back to the LMS, however, very often, we have been asked by customers to change the default behavior, basically, to stop feeding the grade by default.

Unplag LTI app settings can be adjusted in the Settings --> Apps --> View App Configurations --> Unplag Plagiarism Checker --> Edit.

Implementation

Now, you need to bear in mind that LTI app can be installed globally (for entire Canvas account; available in all Courses) or locally (in specific courses; same API key/secret can be used).

Ensure that unplag_auto_grade = 1 in order to enable auto grading. However, in case different teachers prefer conflicting behavior (some want the grade to be passed, and some don't), then possible solutions are:

Solution1. Enable auto-grading for global app - then app's behavior will be consistent across all Canvas courses. Easy to implement, but no flexibility for individual courses.

Solution2. Install Unplag app in individual courses in addition to Global app. Then adjust unplag_auto_grade parameter value for the local app to suit teacher's needs.

LTI app settings:

213951_pastedImage_5.png

I recommend Scenario 1 as a main approach, and Scenario 2, as an exception for teachers that absolutely require different behavior other than institution's global default.

View solution in original post

jomontuori
Community Contributor

Hi  @i_klymenko ​

Thanks for responding here as well as to my colleague!

I was off-site today, so I'll confer with my colleague on Monday. Great response time, BTW!