Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
probinson1

Unpublish Assignments When I Unpublish in Module

Hi Canvas-ites... 

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm extremely frustrated with the system with regard to what the title says. I make my Canvas home page for students (Community College) the Modules page. I always import from the most recent quarter into my new quarter and then tweak and adjust as times/news/events/pedagogical niftiness occurs. 

The issue I have is that when I import items and am tweaking/adjusting throughout the quarter, if I choose to "turn off" (unpublish) an assignment or item in a Module, that item stays published/visible/a calendar item under Assignments (even with the Assignments page unviewable) and appears in the Calendar. This leads to a sudden influx of panicked emails saying, "Doc, I cannot upload assignment X..." or "Doc, we need more details on assignment X..." and I'm thinking, "WTH, dude? That's not even assigned!"

Then I go back and realize, oh, well, *I* unassigned it, but Canvas requires that I go to two (or four, or six, depending on the number of sections I'm teaching) places and unpublish AGAIN something I turned off weeks earlier.

This is an oft-voiced complained among resistors on our campus, as well as my biggest pet peeve in the LMS.

Anyone else have this issue? How do we fix this? Is Canvas Access-based? Is it not as simple as querying the same on/off information? How do we link the two? Why do we have to turn/disable/unpublish the exact same item twice?

Thanks,

Polly

unpublish file‌ bulk unpublish #unpublishing

7 Replies
abunag
Community Member

I'd suggest making a master copy of your course, and leave everything unpublished there.  Then when you import it will stay unpublished.  As you make changes to your active course, make the same update in your master copy.  You can also look at the Blueprint courses for some automated functionality that can update all of your courses at once.

But in general, no there's not a way to mass-unpublish across multiple courses.

Hi Anthony,

The issue is that if I bring the item into my current course (even from a blueprint) and publish it, then later choose to unpublish it, I cannot simply click “unpublish” in Modules to completely unpublish it. It remains published even in the hidden Assignments tab and appears in the students’ calendar. 

The reverse, however is not true. If I import a thing into my course, or push an update through blueprint, then add an item pushed into a module (while in Modules) and publish that item, it automatically appears in the student calendar WITHOUT me having to go to another place (Assignments tab) and hit publish there, too.

It makes no sense to me that to publish it takes one step but to unpublish takes two. 

It should only take one click to unpublish something. From my experience using Canvas (5+ years) if I click the icon to unpublish something it unpublished it *everywhere* in the course. The only time this doesn’t work is if the Module is unpublished and the assignment (or discussion or quiz) inside the Module already has student submissions then it won’t unpublish. 

If your experience is that if you unpublish something somewhere and in other places it’s still published then you need to submit this to Canvas Support because Canvas isn’t functioning as intended. 

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy! I will submit this, with screen caps, to Support. 

Polly

Hello Kona,

In regards to a post back in November of last year regarding un-publishing items created, specifically your reply: 

"It should only take one click to unpublish something. From my experience using Canvas (5+ years) if I click the icon to unpublish something it unpublished it *everywhere* in the course. The only time this doesn’t work is if the Module is unpublished and the assignment (or discussion or quiz) inside the Module already has student submissions then it won’t unpublish." 

I viewed a quiz that I created as a student. It is not treating it like its a real student, which is confusing. I am new to Canvas and should have been using sandbox. But, I didn't. So, now, if I understand what you are saying, I cannot unpublish that quiz because a "student" has submitted it. Is that right? and if so, is my only choice to delete it? 

Thank You,

Kay Meads 

@kjayomeads , greetings! If a student accesses and starts taking a quiz, then the quiz can't be unpublished. The only way to unpublish it is to delete it and recreate it. Yet, if you were using the Canvas test student (and not a real test student account) then you should have been able to preview the quiz and then unpublish it. I know this was a bug in the past, but I thought they'd fixed it. 

Kona

Thank you so much! I will let canvas know.

Kathleen (Kay) Jayo-Meads, MA

Professor, Psychology and Student Success

Copper Mountain College

PO Box 1398

6162 Rotary Way

Joshua Tree CA 92252