cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cro15025
Community Member

Update Scores vs Submit

Jump to solution

I am a TA and use the Speedgrader. I am confused about the difference between the "update scores" and the "submit" button. I have only been clicking the "update scores" button. Will that releases the scores to the students? I assumed the submit button was to only submit the comment since it was right underneath it, for that reason I never click submit. The professor hasn't said otherwise, but I would like to know for future reference. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @cro15025  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  You are correct--the UPDATE SCORES button is what will register the final score on the quiz.  (I assume you're grading an online quiz, since off-hand that's the only thing I can think of that has that button, as shown here in the very last screen capture:  How do I grade quiz questions in SpeedGrader? ).  It sounds like the Submit button you are referring to is the one shown just under the Assignment Comments box, as shown in the lower-right of the first screen capture on this page: How do I use SpeedGrader? --is that correct?  If so, you are right....that is solely for leaving comments.

Speaking of releasing the scores to the students, be aware that those scores are released the very second you click the UPDATE SCORES button.  You may wish to consider muting the scores first before you start grading the quizzes, as covered here: How do I mute or unmute an assignment in SpeedGrader?   By muting the scores, Canvas will not send out any notifications at all while you are scoring the quizzes.  You can then unmute the quiz and all scores will then be released simultaneously.  This is a really great feature and helps to ensure that everyone gets the score at once the same time rather than one-by-one.  (Edit...changed wording slightly.)

I hope this helps a bit, Katrina. We are always happy to help out the TAs out there in the Canvas Community as you learn the system!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @cro15025  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  You are correct--the UPDATE SCORES button is what will register the final score on the quiz.  (I assume you're grading an online quiz, since off-hand that's the only thing I can think of that has that button, as shown here in the very last screen capture:  How do I grade quiz questions in SpeedGrader? ).  It sounds like the Submit button you are referring to is the one shown just under the Assignment Comments box, as shown in the lower-right of the first screen capture on this page: How do I use SpeedGrader? --is that correct?  If so, you are right....that is solely for leaving comments.

Speaking of releasing the scores to the students, be aware that those scores are released the very second you click the UPDATE SCORES button.  You may wish to consider muting the scores first before you start grading the quizzes, as covered here: How do I mute or unmute an assignment in SpeedGrader?   By muting the scores, Canvas will not send out any notifications at all while you are scoring the quizzes.  You can then unmute the quiz and all scores will then be released simultaneously.  This is a really great feature and helps to ensure that everyone gets the score at once the same time rather than one-by-one.  (Edit...changed wording slightly.)

I hope this helps a bit, Katrina. We are always happy to help out the TAs out there in the Canvas Community as you learn the system!

View solution in original post

kbink
Community Contributor

So I'm wondering, if I put in both a score and a comment, does clicking submit or Update save them both, or do I have to click both of them to save both changes?

Also, on assignments, do you have to click the submit button for every student or does clicking to the next student submit the scores/comments for the previous one?