cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltscal2
Community Contributor

Upgrade Oct 31 -> Student User Files Functionality

Jump to solution

I realize this is one upgrade back but my institution is always one cycle behind.

I was wondering if there is going to be any changes to the UI and functionality of the way the user files are laid out.

Specifically

• delete option: Now that students cannot delete submission files, the files under submissions can we get rid of the delete option in the menu?
  • Share to commons: if a student is truly a student they won't have access to Canvas commons and there is this option in the user/personal files menu option for each file. Currently if you select Share To Commons, it brings the user to a blank page.
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ltscal2 ​...

The bullet points that you've included here appear, to me at least, to be more of Feature Idea requests or things you would maybe want to talk with your CSM about.  You might want to consider posting those as separate Feature Ideas here: Canvas Feature Ideas.  Just my initial thoughts when I saw your posting.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ltscal2 ​...

The bullet points that you've included here appear, to me at least, to be more of Feature Idea requests or things you would maybe want to talk with your CSM about.  You might want to consider posting those as separate Feature Ideas here: Canvas Feature Ideas.  Just my initial thoughts when I saw your posting.

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@ltscal2 ​, as a general point of clarification, there's no such thing as being "one cycle behind" in Canvas. Everyone is using the same Canvas at the same time, inasmuch as Canvas doesn't have "versions," and the production releases are implemented in the cloud, simultaneously, to all Canvas accounts. A school cannot opt to accept or refuse an update--it just happens, like clockwork, on the scheduled release date. Your school can opt to enable certain feature options at the account level, but they are available to all schools. If your institution is using a Free For Teachers account, certain (not many!) features will be absent, but the Free For Teachers courses are now on the new UI, so all features that are present in FFT will receive the same updates that they do in other instances.

So generally speaking, if the behavior you're experiencing in your courses is different from what is described in the Canvas Guides and  Canvas Release Notes, you can choose to submit a new feature idea, as  @chofer ​ suggests, or submit a support ticket if what you're experiencing seems like a bug.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

...except I just learned that your school runs its own local install, so my "generally speaking" comments don't pertain to your specific use case. Sorry,  @ltscal2 ​. For those of you driving by, Keroleen's use case represents the rare exception.

ltscal2
Community Contributor

Stefanie: Yes there is if you are using the non-hosted version of Canvas as we are. I think we are one of the two Canadian schools that run our own installs :smileysilly:

Any admins able to move this post to a feature request directly or should I copy and paste this there?

@ltscal2 ​, you should submit the feature idea on your own, using the guidance in this document: How to write a good feature idea submission​. After you've done so, please take a moment to circle back to this discussion to post the link to the new feature idea. I'll mark  @chofer ​'s response here with the Correct Answer flag.