Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axd193
Community Member

Uploading a html word document and linking associated images

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to upload a long word document (data book) to a canvas wiki-type page for students to be able to add / modify relevant content.

When you save a word doc as a html file you get a folder of associated content, images etc. In the HTML this is linked for example as:

<v:imagedata src="Third%20year%20DB_files/image002.png" o:title=""

chromakey="white"/>

When you upload a file to canvas the img source is saved under /courses/6524/files/2063109/preview even when you name the folder "Third year DB_files".

How can I save the file in the same folder as the HTML page? There are about 400 images so going through and changing the source for each file isn't really an option

Any idea's / help would be appreciated,

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @axd193 ​...

Generally speaking, Microsoft Word doesn't do a stellar job of making webpages.  It is a word processor, after all, not a software program to create websites.  If I ever need to take content from a Word document, I first paste all the text into a simple text file and then copy/paste that text into the RCE of Canvas.  Why?  If I paste content directly into the RCE from Word, there's a lot of what I would call "junk code" behind the page that I'd rather not have to sift through should the need arise.  Pasting the text first into the text file, and then into the RCE takes out all that code.  As for the images, what I've done is actually either right-clicked on each image and saved it as a file (*.jpg or *.gif, for example).  Then, in the RCE, I'll insert those images into the page.

For your situation, have you considered uploading your Word document to Google Docs?  Then, you could get an embed link to use inside of your Canvas page so that students could view the document the way you wanted it displayed, and you wouldn't have to mess with image locations.  Over in the Instructional Designers (you might consider joining) group, stefaniesanders wrote a nice blog that might be of help to you for this: Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @axd193 ​...

Generally speaking, Microsoft Word doesn't do a stellar job of making webpages.  It is a word processor, after all, not a software program to create websites.  If I ever need to take content from a Word document, I first paste all the text into a simple text file and then copy/paste that text into the RCE of Canvas.  Why?  If I paste content directly into the RCE from Word, there's a lot of what I would call "junk code" behind the page that I'd rather not have to sift through should the need arise.  Pasting the text first into the text file, and then into the RCE takes out all that code.  As for the images, what I've done is actually either right-clicked on each image and saved it as a file (*.jpg or *.gif, for example).  Then, in the RCE, I'll insert those images into the page.

For your situation, have you considered uploading your Word document to Google Docs?  Then, you could get an embed link to use inside of your Canvas page so that students could view the document the way you wanted it displayed, and you wouldn't have to mess with image locations.  Over in the Instructional Designers (you might consider joining) group, stefaniesanders wrote a nice blog that might be of help to you for this: Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

axd193
Community Member

Ended up using the iframe and google docs. Worked perfectly, thanks!