Uploading a slideshow file

Jump to solution
SCaldwell5
Community Member

Hello, I am a student and was trying to upload a google slideshow file to an assignment, but no matter what option I pushed it wouldn't let me upload it. I have contacted my teacher, but they have not gotten back to me. Can anyone tell me how to add screenshots because they might help?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @SCaldwell5 ...

I tried to re-create an assignment (below) in my own sandbox course similar to what you displayed in your own screenshot.  I see one significant error in your instructor's setup of that assignment...which I've circled in yellow in my image.

GoogleSlideshow.jpg

The problem is that when your instructor set up this assignment, he/she incorrectly typed in the words "google slideshow" when your instructor was prompted for file types that will be allowable for that assignment.  Now, I'm not exactly sure what kind of file extension Google uses for their Slideshows (doing a quick Google search, I found *.gslides, does that sound correct?).  But, whatever file extension it is using...that's what really needs to be added by your instructor.  My guess is that when you try and upload your Google Slideshow right now, you're getting some kind of error message saying it's not an acceptable file type?  That's because Canvas doesn't know what a file type of "google slideshow" is.  If you take a look at this instructor Guide, How do I create an online assignment? - Canvas Community, scroll about 3/4 of the way down the screen to the section on "Restrict File Types".  Specifically, take a look at the screenshot within that section.  Without being able to see your instructor's screen, this is a bit of a guess, but I'm pretty confident in telling you that in the area labeled as "2" in that screenshot should not contain the words "google slideshow".  Rather, it should include whatever file extension that Google Slideshow uses.  As you can see from the example in that Guide, it's also possible to specify many acceptable file types all at once....such as doc,docx,pdf,txt.  It's possible that your instructor did not see the gray text below that text box saying how to specify the file types: Enter a llst of accepted extensions, for example: doc,xls,txt.

So, when you do get in contact with your instructor, please let him/her know that the acceptable file types area isn't correct and that it needs to be changed in order for you and your classmates to be able to successfully upload files to that particular assignment.

I hope this will help!  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post