cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wodnickj
Community Member

Uploading files to multiple courses

Jump to solution

If I want to upload the same file to multiple courses, why can't I store it in my personal files, and then copy and paste the same link to multiple courses?  Uploading the same file multiple times to multiple different course file folders is cumbersome.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wodnickj ​...

Files stored in your personal "Files" area of Canvas are tied to your own Canvas account.  They aren't available for other people to see or to access anywhere else in Canvas.  It's like having your own file storage area for personal files on a school network.  Nobody but you can see those files.  Here is further information on personal file storage in Canvas: How do I view my user files as an instructor?

To answer the second part of your question, have you considered uploading the files you want to share to a service like Dropbox or Google Drive?  If you had one of these accounts, you could create a folder for your course, load one or more files to that course folder, and then share the link in your course with your students so that they have access to it.  The link you insert would need to be initially added to each of your courses, but once that is done, that's it.  If you ever needed to add, modify, remove any files from the folder, you do it in Dropbox or Google Drive, and all your courses containing that link are updated at one time.  This also eliminates needing to recall which of your courses you've updated and which still need the new version of a given file...because it's all done at the same time.

Hope this helps, John!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wodnickj ​...

Files stored in your personal "Files" area of Canvas are tied to your own Canvas account.  They aren't available for other people to see or to access anywhere else in Canvas.  It's like having your own file storage area for personal files on a school network.  Nobody but you can see those files.  Here is further information on personal file storage in Canvas: How do I view my user files as an instructor?

To answer the second part of your question, have you considered uploading the files you want to share to a service like Dropbox or Google Drive?  If you had one of these accounts, you could create a folder for your course, load one or more files to that course folder, and then share the link in your course with your students so that they have access to it.  The link you insert would need to be initially added to each of your courses, but once that is done, that's it.  If you ever needed to add, modify, remove any files from the folder, you do it in Dropbox or Google Drive, and all your courses containing that link are updated at one time.  This also eliminates needing to recall which of your courses you've updated and which still need the new version of a given file...because it's all done at the same time.

Hope this helps, John!

View solution in original post

wodnickj
Community Member

Thanks-- yes that's helpful. I'm going to just save everything to a google

drive and use links to get students to the documents they need.