Usability of Speedgrader annotations

Jump to solution
MatthewPreston
Community Member

I've been using Speedgrader this year to provide feedback on written assignments. I exclusively use the point, highlight and strikethrough annotations and find that I am able to give high quality feedback with these tools. 

However I find the interface to be quite unresponsive and glitchy, making the marking process frustrating. 

I want to be able to recommend the process to my colleagues, as the digital workflow has great benefits. However I think the poor UI experience will prevent many from taking it up. 

I sporadically find that the highlight and strikethrough tools are simply unresponsive. Nothing happens when I select a word. To remedy this I try a few times, click elsewhere, delete that annotation and then I find it works. 

I also find the number of clicks to remove an annotation is frustrating. The  'are you sure' query is unnecessary. 

I am using Microsoft Edge Version 105.0.1343.42

I've heard that the iPad app is better, but I am not able to move to this platform. 

Is there a major update in the works? It's needed. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @MatthewPreston 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with using the annotations within Speedgrader. Based on your explanation, it sounds like a browser or network issue. In general, there shouldn't be a lag and you shouldn't need to click a few times to  get it  to register. Every once in a while there may be a lag or one-off instances but it shouldn't be a constant. Have you cleared your cache and cookies or tried another device or or even wifi? I would try in that order starting with clearing cache, using another browser, using another  device, and finally trying another wifi. You should also try using it on the app. Very likely one of those will curb the lag and issues you are experiencing. Hopefully this helps!

Here is the Canvas guide:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-add-annotated-comments-in-student-submi... 

View solution in original post

OK, tried on another computer and the experience is much better. An issue on my end then. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes