Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abersi
Community Member

Use of External Tools

Jump to solution

Use of External Tools-

In my course this semester I am receiving student's reports via the TurnitinLTI which has been working marvelously since we began in January.

Lately, I have continued to set my external tools for report assignments to TurnitinLTI only to hear from a few students that they can't submit their work.  When I view it from my side, all is well.  When I go through student view it says there is an error, YET I am receiving assignments simultaneously!?

I have reset it several times with the same result.

Is this an internal challenge- my computer somehow?

Is this an issue with Turnitin?

Or...

I AM OPEN TO COMMENTS REGARDING WHY THIS CONTINUES TO BE AN ISSUE.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @abersi  Thank You for posting your question.  Are you seeing an error message like this when trying to view the Turnitin-enabled assignment via "Student View"?

Turnitin Error

If so, as the message suggests, Turnitin cannot find a valid e-mail address for the "Test Student" role.  This is because Canvas does not assign an e-mail address to the "Test Student" (Student View) role, and Turnitin is looking for that in order to authenticate into the LTI app.  In order to use Turnitin as a student, you would need to have a separate student role (this could be a fictional user) and log into your course with that username/password so that you can see what Turnitin would look like from a student's perspective.

As to why some of your actual students aren't able to submit their work...that's a different issue...and one I'm not sure I have an answer for.  If they are able to see the Turnitin interface, and if your assignment settings for the Turnitin-enabled assignment are set the way you want, they should be able to submit the work to you.  Are they using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to navigate around Canvas?  If not, those two browsers are much preferred over Internet Explorer and Edge.

Hope this helps somewhat, Andria.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @abersi  Thank You for posting your question.  Are you seeing an error message like this when trying to view the Turnitin-enabled assignment via "Student View"?

Turnitin Error

If so, as the message suggests, Turnitin cannot find a valid e-mail address for the "Test Student" role.  This is because Canvas does not assign an e-mail address to the "Test Student" (Student View) role, and Turnitin is looking for that in order to authenticate into the LTI app.  In order to use Turnitin as a student, you would need to have a separate student role (this could be a fictional user) and log into your course with that username/password so that you can see what Turnitin would look like from a student's perspective.

As to why some of your actual students aren't able to submit their work...that's a different issue...and one I'm not sure I have an answer for.  If they are able to see the Turnitin interface, and if your assignment settings for the Turnitin-enabled assignment are set the way you want, they should be able to submit the work to you.  Are they using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to navigate around Canvas?  If not, those two browsers are much preferred over Internet Explorer and Edge.

Hope this helps somewhat, Andria.

View solution in original post

abersi
Community Member

Thanks for the prompt response... we'll go forward from here.