cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tammy_neil
Community Member

Using Canvas with Code.Org (CSP) Curriculum

Jump to solution

I am looking for anyone else who is also using the CSP curriculum from Code.Org. It doesn't seem smooth.

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @tammy_neil ‌,

When I was a teacher I used code.org for my classes and had to manually roster my students there as it didn't support any type of integration.   However, code.org has recently started supporting integration with clever:

Creating accounts for students – Code.org 

Clever can be used to send rostering information from the SIS to code.org.  In theory, that should be the same roster info that's sent to Canvas.  I'm not sure about actually logging in.

code.org also supports log in with a Google or Microsoft account if that's what you happen to be using to auth into Canvas.

I think it's a great idea (and I did then when I was teaching) to contact code.org and suggest that they look at becoming an LTI provider allowing for robust integration with any LMS.  I think that any real chance of this happening is going to be because they hear about the need from their users.

As far as grading goes, I would create an "offline" or "no submission" assignment for each lesson in the course, with a link to the lesson, allowing students direct access to the lesson from the LMS.  Usually this was in a module which had supplementary resources as well.  The benefit too is that I could just open the code.org gradebook in one tab and the gradebook in another and type in scores - letting students see their official grade in the LMS as they were used to (again something LTI could solve!)

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @tammy_neil ...

I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we've not heard back from you since you first posted this question on August 16th.  It looks like  @dwahl_sales  has responded with some good information here.  Have you had an opportunity to review his response?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your initial question?  If you feel that Danny's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you are still seeking some help, please post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions or comments below related to your inquiry.  I hope that's alright with you, Tammy.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @tammy_neil ‌,

When I was a teacher I used code.org for my classes and had to manually roster my students there as it didn't support any type of integration.   However, code.org has recently started supporting integration with clever:

Creating accounts for students – Code.org 

Clever can be used to send rostering information from the SIS to code.org.  In theory, that should be the same roster info that's sent to Canvas.  I'm not sure about actually logging in.

code.org also supports log in with a Google or Microsoft account if that's what you happen to be using to auth into Canvas.

I think it's a great idea (and I did then when I was teaching) to contact code.org and suggest that they look at becoming an LTI provider allowing for robust integration with any LMS.  I think that any real chance of this happening is going to be because they hear about the need from their users.

As far as grading goes, I would create an "offline" or "no submission" assignment for each lesson in the course, with a link to the lesson, allowing students direct access to the lesson from the LMS.  Usually this was in a module which had supplementary resources as well.  The benefit too is that I could just open the code.org gradebook in one tab and the gradebook in another and type in scores - letting students see their official grade in the LMS as they were used to (again something LTI could solve!)

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @tammy_neil ...

I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we've not heard back from you since you first posted this question on August 16th.  It looks like  @dwahl_sales  has responded with some good information here.  Have you had an opportunity to review his response?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your initial question?  If you feel that Danny's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you are still seeking some help, please post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions or comments below related to your inquiry.  I hope that's alright with you, Tammy.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Hi  @dwahl_sales ,

Did you happen to share your Canvas course (for the Code.org CSP class) on commons?

Thanks! Sue

Hi  @susan_oconnell ‌,

Unfortunately, I was teaching using moodle at the time, so nope Smiley Sad