Using Pen with iPad

Jump to solution
chris_kelley
Community Explorer

I had my students answer their midterm exam questions on Canvas through the Quiz function.  Rather than write their exam on a separate document and upload their responses, they wrote it on the Canvas site.  When I go to grade them on my iPad using my Apple pen to make comments, there is no function to let me do this. Further, I cannot download their answers as there is no download link.  I have had to copy and paste 50 individual responses to Word documents and save them that way, then grade them in the Word file.  Am I missing something? This seems incredibly convoluted.  I have used both Speedgrader and Canvas Teacher, and neither has a pen function, although there is a YouTube video from 2015 where the person is using Canvas Teacher, and it has an edit bar where you can use a pen--mine does have this function--so does anyone know if it was removed or is there a setting that I have overlooked? 

1 Solution

Correct. We cannot use an Apple Pen to annotate text submissions in a quiz. As Eric suggested, this would need to be a Feature Idea. However, since this doesn't exist for quizzes (graded via SpeedGrader on the browser), it would need to be built there before it could be moved to mobile.

View solution in original post