Using Rubrics with External Tools

Jump to solution
Gerritsen
Community Member

Canvas does not allow a rubric to be attached to an external tool for some unknown reason, so as I researched 52 youtube videos later, it seemed that I could create the assignment with another label like "online". After I made the assignment with the fake category and attached the rubric, then I could go back in and change the submission to external tool. This is a solid hassle and seems ridiculous, but desperate times and all that. Now it seems that even that doesn't work. Is there a way for Canvas to just make it so a rubric an be added to any assignment period? That would be great. Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Gerritsen ...

Hi there!  You are partially correct in your analysis of LTI external tools, assignments, and rubrics.  If your assignment is going to use a LTI external tool but also needs to include a Canvas rubric, you first need to attach the rubric to the assignment like normal.  After you've saved the assignment and ensured that the rubric is attached, go back to edit the assignment, and change it to the "External Tool" that you want to use (for example: Turnitin).  Once you save the assignment again, the rubric will not be displayed under the assignment like you'd normally expect.  However, the rubric *is still attached to the assignment*.  You can still go to the SpeedGrader for the assignment and access the rubric to use it for grading.  How do I use a rubric to grade submissions in SpeedGrader?   And, students can still access the rubric, too...just via a different screen.  Check out this Guide: How do I view the rubric for my external tool assignment?.

I hope this information will be of help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post

Hey there, @Gerritsen , @VeronicaStein , @Neurofish , and @mbmacdonald ...

I think I have some awesome news for all of you.  I was just browsing the Canvas Release Notes and Deploy Notes, and I saw some exciting news in the June 21, 2023 Deploy Notes:

Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-06-21) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Check out the section on Assignments: External Tools Add Rubric Button.  😊

View solution in original post

0 Likes