cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weaver_852
Community Participant

Using Video Galleries/Playlists

Hi everyone. In my course we use youtube videos embedded within our modules for each week to deliver lecture material. This can cause each lecture page in the modules to get pretty long when we have many videos embedded. I am wondering if there is anyway to create a video playlist or gallery so that students can go from video to video while still within the module function for each week. Thanks! 

5 Replies
laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Hi  @weaver_852 ‌! It sounds like YouTube Playlists will work very nicely for you! I just did a CanvasLIVE about that a couple weeks ago; the slidedeck, video of the presentation, plus detailed notes and links are all here:

YouTube Playlists for CanvasLIVE – Teaching with Canvas 

I am a huge fan of YouTube Playlists, and they work great in Canvas. 🙂

weaver_852
Community Participant

Thanks, Laura! Your resources are very extensive and I appreciate the help. I like the idea of embedding the Youtube playlist as a whole, but worry about students actually going through the entire playlist and watching the videos if they only see "one" video present. Have you come across a way to code into Canvas to make the playlist appear more like that of Youtube where you can see the videos in the playlist in a sidebar along with the video that you are playing? (see below)

238361_pastedImage_1.png

Oooh, that's a good question. I don't know of a way to embed like that, and as I recall, YouTube does not allow itself to be iframed with other tools. 

There are other video management tools too, of course. Maybe another tool like Kaltura or Arc would give you an option like that. Hopefully someone will chime in here who is more familiar with those other video options in Canvas.

YouTube is the system I am most familiar with since the way it does playlists actually works fine for me (I'm using it more as a way to give context to a video rather than expecting students to watch ALL the videos in a playlist).

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @weaver_852  ...

I wanted to check in with you because I've noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since June 12th.  Have you been able to find any other solutions for your videos to display how you'd like them inside of Canvas?  Or, are you still looking for some help with this?  laurakgibbs‌ has a great suggestion...but it looks like you're looking for more of a sidebar layout.  If you could please come back to this thread to post an update for us, that would be great!  For now, since we've not had any new activity in this thread for more than two months, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below.  I hope that's okay with you, Ella.  Hope to hear back from you soon!

Hi,

When you embed the playlist there is an option to see the list of videos.  In the upper left-hand corner before the title of the first video, there are three lines with play sign followed by x/x(the number of the video over the amount of videos in the playlist. When you click on that it will pop up the side menu bar. You would just have to write in the instructions for your students. 

Maybe this will work for you. 

Best