Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adriw
Community Participant

Using assignment submission for in-class small group work (giant lecture halls)

We're at a very large public research university. Class sizes can be 300- 440 students. I had an instructor ask me the following question:

Is there a way for students to work together in small groups on an assignment, submit an answer or response electronically,
and then me be able to display the results to the whole class to go over it?

And it occurs to me that an in-class assignment submission, combined with hiding student names in speed grader, would work well for this.

It can be difficult for instructors to engage students in group work in very large lectures. But if students know they need to submit an answer (can be a photo of a diagram or equation, or text), they will get to work AND ask for help from the instructor and TAs who are walking around.

After the submission window has closed, the instructor can open speedgrader, hide student names, and show the grading window on the big screen. The class can discuss examples.

There could even be some peer grading that goes on after a couple of examples have been discussed, or after class.

I've marked this as a discussion rather than a question, because I'd mostly love to hear about cool examples of how instructors have used Canvas during class to stimulate group work.

5 Replies
nr2522
Community Champion

Hi, Adrienne.

I recommend starting with What are Student Groups?  and its various links.

Best,

Nelson

sbastian
Community Participant

You could also incorporate discussions with the use of student groups. Each group can hold their own discussion and instructors and TAs can jump in to groups as needed. I sometimes use discussions for peer reviews of drafts or ideas. You can use the Peer Review function in conjunction with discussions in Canvas.

You could also have the groups use collaborations which utilizes Google docs and would allow each member of the group to work on the same project.

In both cases, the instructor would need to show the groups' work if he or she wanted to show it to the whole class as groups cannot see each others' work.

johnmartin
Community Champion

I'm proposing the creation of ahttps://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9009-large-class-instruction-group" modifiedtitle="true" title... in the Canvas Community to gather and share discussions with a large class focus. Please consider voting the idea up! Thanks!

jonesn16
Community Champion

Have you looked into the Polls app? You could use it to deploy questions on the fly from a tablet or phone.

johnmartin
Community Champion

Hi   @jonesn16 , has the Polls app gotten any better? It seemed like a nonstarter when we last looked at it. I'd love to hear the experiences of folks who have used it!!