cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yoffema
Community Member

Using download/upload to add scores to existing gradebook?

Jump to solution

I am using Canvas with Mastering Chemistry, which means a Canvas gradebook was automatically created for my class that contains their Mastering Chemistry homework scores.  I have not used the gradebook for anything else.   However, it's now the end of the semester, and I thought it would be nice to provide students with all their scores for exams, quizzes, etc. in the gradebook (they already have these, so this would enable them to check that all their scores have been properly entered), as well as their final letter grade.

I don't want to enter them manually, since they are already in an Excel spreadsheet.  What is the best way to add them to the existing gradebook?  I have downloaded the gradebook from Canvas.  Should I simply add their quiz/lab/exam/etc. scores starting with the first column after all the Mastering Chemistry scores end (column AZ, in my case), upload it, and publish?  

Alternately, if I give the gradebook a different name and then upload and publish it, will it overwrite the existing gradebook, or create a new gradebook?  If the latter is the case, then I could make a much cleaner summary gradebook for the students (in which I keep only the identifying info. in columns A - F,  and enter the quiz/lab/exam/etc. scores after this), without concern about deleting their Mastering Chemistry grade info.

I'll add I want to be very careful about this, because I don't want to accidentally do this in a way that enables every student to see every other student's score, not merely his or her own.

Finally, when searching this subject, I found a question from another poster in which it's mentioned one can't enter comments into the gradebook.  This suggests to me it might take numeric input only, in which case I would be unable to post their letter grades.

I did read through this:  How do I upload changes to the Gradebook? 

But I was confused by some of the terminology.  Would each new column I add be considered a "New Assignment"?Note that I don't want to assign students new work, I just want them to see their scores for test/quizzes/etc. they've already done.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @yoffema  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Keeping in mind that I am a Canvas administrator for our Technical College and I do not teach in Canvas, I'll try and answer your question (but may not have all the answers).  First, have you taken a look at the following two Guides?

How do I export grades from the Gradebook? 

How do I upload changes to the Gradebook? 

Per the second Guide, you can add columns to the downloaded CSV file which will create additional assignments (columns) in your Canvas Gradebook that didn't exist prior to you exporting to CSV.  Also, you had mentioned something about re-naming the Gradebook.  To my knowledge, this isn't possible.  Meaning, if you download a CSV file, make changes to that file, and then save it as another file name, it's not going to create a brand new, separate version of your Gradebook where you can toggle between what used to be there and the new "version".  All the CSV file is doing is making changes to the items within the Gradebook...not the actual Gradebook name.  So yes, any changes you make in your CSV file will be reflected in the Canvas Gradebook once you upload the CSV file back to Canvas.

Also, regarding comments, there are a couple options here for you:

How do I leave comments for students in the Gradebook? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12899-4152170783 

I hope this helps a bit, A Y.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @yoffema  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Keeping in mind that I am a Canvas administrator for our Technical College and I do not teach in Canvas, I'll try and answer your question (but may not have all the answers).  First, have you taken a look at the following two Guides?

How do I export grades from the Gradebook? 

How do I upload changes to the Gradebook? 

Per the second Guide, you can add columns to the downloaded CSV file which will create additional assignments (columns) in your Canvas Gradebook that didn't exist prior to you exporting to CSV.  Also, you had mentioned something about re-naming the Gradebook.  To my knowledge, this isn't possible.  Meaning, if you download a CSV file, make changes to that file, and then save it as another file name, it's not going to create a brand new, separate version of your Gradebook where you can toggle between what used to be there and the new "version".  All the CSV file is doing is making changes to the items within the Gradebook...not the actual Gradebook name.  So yes, any changes you make in your CSV file will be reflected in the Canvas Gradebook once you upload the CSV file back to Canvas.

Also, regarding comments, there are a couple options here for you:

How do I leave comments for students in the Gradebook? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12899-4152170783 

I hope this helps a bit, A Y.

View solution in original post

yoffema
Community Member

Thanks, that did the trick.  I just added the extra columns to the gradebook and uploaded it (under the same name).  

The one wrinkle is that my entries for their final grades were all blank -- it seems the gradebook indeed cannot accept non-numeric data entries.  To address this, I had to convert their letter grades to a numeric code (A = 4, B = 3, etc.)