cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pete1
Community Contributor

Video embed (Wistia)

Jump to solution

We have been utilising Wistia as our video hosting site for some time now. Recently they updated their chaptering / embed codes. I would be eternally grateful if someone would be able to assist us with figuring out the embedding code.

Previous code we used to embed looked something like this. (Which was great as we could adjust the thumbnail  etc)

Wistia chaptering.jpg

The new code that is churned out now looks like:

Wistia chaptering 1.jpg

To my understanding (albeit somewhat limited)  Canvas does not support this script. I apologise if I am barking up the wrong tree. I have spent some time on the forums trying to tackle this issue, and don't really want to have to delve into the depths of allowing java script to sub accounts and such.

Thank you in advance for anyone that may be able to assist!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pete1
Community Contributor

Just an update if anyone was interested.

I heard back from Wistia. They have depreciated some of their older embeds and released a new standard embed, this caused some gremlins with the chaptering plugin, so this needed to be updated. Due to this, you can no longer use the older version to create the old chaptering embed.

The work around was to use a fallback embed code which when chaptered is supposedly closer to the original syntax (I have not personally tested this). However this means chaptered popover embeds are no longer possible.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
James
Community Champion

@pete1 ,

You are correct that you cannot embed a script into a Canvas page or assignment. If you want to include scripts, you need to embed them in an iframe.

I don't use Wistia, but they have document an iframe option. See Fallback (iframe) Embed about 1/3 of the way down the page at http://wistia.com/doc/embedding

Have you tried the iframe approach?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The iframe option was the same thing I was thinking of. We use Wistia with the iframe embed option and it works with no problem. Yet, we don't use chapters (at least for anything I could find tonight) so I couldn't test it to see if it would work.

pete1
Community Contributor

Hi all,

Thank you all for the fast responses!! I nearly had a heart attack when I thought I missed something as simple as the iframe embed instead of the popover. Then I remembered.

The reason I feel the need to use popover embed instead of inline iframe is because we set our pages out like this...

wistia chaptering 3.jpg

If the students click on the eyes (where the arrow is..) then the video will pop up and they can watch. I personally find that just a bit neater than inline.

I'm not sure if there will be solution to this, we may just need to change our page layout..

James
Community Champion

Thanks  @pete1 ​, that helps redefine the problem.

There is still a reference to an iframe in your old source. There was another Wistia page about setting options within an iframe, so the iframe still sounds like the track to go on.

You provided the source code for the link, but could you look at the HTML that puts the video on the page and see how it's in there? It might be an iframe and so the iframe approach rather than the javascript approach is where you should focus. If it's something else, then it helps us know where to look.

pete1
Community Contributor

Hi  @James ,

I definitely think the iframe approach is the way to go. The HTML looks something like "https://fast.wistia.net/embed/iframe/yqdkl9......" I am looking further in to the wistia chaptering - iframe options and have also contacted wistia. I will make sure I come back with an update if I do / don't work out a solution. Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated!

pete1
Community Contributor

Just an update if anyone was interested.

I heard back from Wistia. They have depreciated some of their older embeds and released a new standard embed, this caused some gremlins with the chaptering plugin, so this needed to be updated. Due to this, you can no longer use the older version to create the old chaptering embed.

The work around was to use a fallback embed code which when chaptered is supposedly closer to the original syntax (I have not personally tested this). However this means chaptered popover embeds are no longer possible.

James
Community Champion

@pete1 ​, I'm glad you got an answer back from Wistia, but sorry it wasn't what you were hoping for.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found out. That's always helpful for other people who might encounter a similar problem.