cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d_robb
Community Member

Video file maximum size

Jump to solution

I'm trying to upload a video (160MB) to a course module, but after uploading the window doesn't close and the file doesn't appear.  Is there a maximum file size?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sdemirhan
Instructure
Instructure

Hello David Robb,

I am sorry to hear about this issue which you are experiencing. So, the upload limit is up to 500MB as appointed out by Ken Black above.

Could you please file a support ticket by sending it to support@instructure.com so that we can take a closer look into this for you. Also, please let us know which browser you were using at the time. If it's Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge browser, I would suggest using Google Chrome or Firefox latest version browsers.

I look forward to getting this resolved for you as soon as possible.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @d_robb ​ - According to the Canvas documentation, you should be able to upload anything up to 500MB.  One item to check is to ensure the type of video you are uploading is a supported video file format, which is covered here:  What types of files are supported in Canvas?

Having said that, my own experience is that you are trying to upload a pretty large video file, and if you're having trouble uploading it then your students may have a similar issue viewing it.  You may have been able to upload similar files without an issue, so feel free to ignore the following advice, but for any file that large, I might recommend uploading it as a private or unlisted YouTube video.  I used to do this all the time for my own students for posting things like video solutions to assignments, etc., and never ran into any issues with it.  While the Canvas video service is fine, overall, let's face it: YouTube was made for it, and you might as well take advantage of it, if you choose to.

sdemirhan
Instructure
Instructure

Hello David Robb,

I am sorry to hear about this issue which you are experiencing. So, the upload limit is up to 500MB as appointed out by Ken Black above.

Could you please file a support ticket by sending it to support@instructure.com so that we can take a closer look into this for you. Also, please let us know which browser you were using at the time. If it's Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge browser, I would suggest using Google Chrome or Firefox latest version browsers.

I look forward to getting this resolved for you as soon as possible.

View solution in original post

d_robb
Community Member

Hi Stefanie and Serkan,

Thanks for responding. I was in the US when I was having the difficulty, but I’m now in China. Will be back in New Zealand on December 12 when I will try the upload again and if it doesn’t work will file a support ticket (thanks for letting me know how to do that – this is my first time using canvas as a professor).

David Robb <http://www.business.auckland.ac.nz/people/d-robb> <http://nz.linkedin.com/in/davidjrobb/>

Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management

Director, China Studies Centre, New Zealand Asia Institute

Room 346, Level 3, Owen G. Glenn Building, 12 Grafton Road

Graduate School of Management

The University of Auckland Business School

Private Bag 92019

Auckland 1142, NEW ZEALAND

DDI: +64 9 923-2812 FAX: +64 9 373-7063

MOB: +64 21 238-2728 HOME: +64 9 620-5692