cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
randy2
Community Member

View Average for First Semester Grades

My canvas is set up with two semesters. I can only view the average from the second semester. Therefore, all my student's and I can see for their average is 0% because there are no grades in the second semester yet. How do I switch my final average to reflect first semester grades? 

3 Replies
am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

I have a similar issue. A few of our courses (4) within the same department only show students and teachers the grades for the wrong trimester. For example, we are in trimester 1, but students and teachers can only see their grades when they select trimester 3. I've checked the settings and all the courses are trimester 1 courses, so I am unsure what the problem is. This problem does not affect all our courses.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, randy...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  While I don't really have an answer for you, I did want to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on September 5, 2018.  It looks like  @am_jagusztyn  also replied, but she appears to be having a similar problem with her course(s).  So, it seems that you may have stumped the Community with your question.  Have you been able to find a solution to your question on your own since you first posted your question back in September?  If you've been able to come up with a solution, would you be willing to share your findings with us back here in this topic?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance from Community members with this question?  If that is the case, can you please let us know that as well?  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since Ariel's response on October 5, 2018.  However, that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  Hoping that's okay with you, Randy.

Also, on an unrelated note, I wanted to let you know that I am going to modify the subject line of this topic.  It's not necessary to include the bulk of your message in the subject line when you've already included it in the body of your message (similar to composing an e-mail message).  If the revised subject line doesn't accurately reflect what you are asking in the body of your message, please let me know, and we can work to make any necessary changes.  I'll also tag your question with some keywords.  Both of these things will make it easier for people to search for your topic should they have similar questions.

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Randy.

am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

Actually, I have been able to find a solution, at least for my own issue. The issue was related to instructors not having due dates on assignments and the way I have grading periods set up. So, to find a solution, you have to consider 1) Term Dates, 2) Grading Periods, 3) Due Dates for Assignments within courses. Grading periods must fall within a term date and must not come after, that's the first element. If you, like me, created one set of grading periods and within that one set, I have three separate periods, there's a caveat to this: Because the grading periods are created as a set, they are all together, which brings me to my first problem: if instructors do not add due dates to items within the correct term and grading period, all the graded assignments will fall under the default term considered by Canvas, which is the final term in the grading period set. Therefore, all instructors must add due dates within the term to avoid this. Additionally, you can create one grading period set per term and that would also alleviate the problem. Later down the line, we discovered that actually our grading period was set up for 24 hours later than the term, this also caused issues when instructors added a final due date, it did not fall within the correct term. Or, perhaps your question can be easily answered by switching the gradebook view. It may be because the term is not set up properly in the course and then this causes the gradebook to default to the wrong term. It's hard to determine; however, I hope I was helpful in some way.