cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jschaffer
Community Champion

Viewing Messages in Canvas

Hello all,

For our instance of Canvas, several of our Support Staff would like to view messages between students and/or faculty so they can better assist and respond to student concerns.  However, as far as I can tell, there is no way to accomplish this in Canvas (outside of an API where I masquerade as a user).  Is there a way that we can look into the inbox for a user in Canvas to see what has been sent and received? 

Jason

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm not sure what you mean by an "API where I masquerade as a user," because I use the front-end Admin interface to easily (and quickly) masquerade as a student (or Instructor) to see the Inbox. Yet, per conversations with support what you see in the Inbox when you masquerade as someone isn't always 100% accurate and can't be relied on. The only way to know for sure that what you're seeing in the Inbox is accurate is to create an alternate login for the person and then literally log in as the person.

jschaffer
Community Champion

@kona ​,

Thanks for the input.  However, currently we do not allow our users to masquerade as students, or to even login as them with an alternative ID.  We are trying to see if there is a way to look at the messages sent via Canvas from a strictly Admin point of view. 

Jason

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Only admins at our Institution have this ability.

To be clear, what type of "user" do you want to be able to view all messages and how do you want this to happen (within Canvas, outside of Canvas)?

jschaffer
Community Champion

@kona ​,

The use case is this:

We have Student Support Services, who are lower level admin users, who want to be able to see what messages were sent to the students they support, and by whom in Canvas.  I cannot find a way to view or allow this outside of masquerading as that user.  Is there  a permission or setting that will allow any user to review messages sent back and forth in Canvas?

Jason

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As far as I'm aware the only way to do this would be through masquerading and per my earlier comment, even that isn't 100% accurate when it comes to viewing inbox communications. Yet, there might be something that could be written/done on the back-end of Canvas, but for that we'd want to pull in people from the Canvas Developers​ group to see if there's a way to get the conversations and then display them.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello, jschaffer, it's been a while since we last heard from you. Did the response from  @kona  resolve your question? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; that will not prevent you or others from responding. If there is a workable solution posted here, please mark that answer as "Correct"--and if you arrived at a different solution, please take a moment to update the thread. Thanks!