cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pohlmanma
Community Contributor

Viewing Student Course List Without Masquerading

Jump to solution

Original Topic Title: Is there a way to see all of the courses a student is enrolled in without masquerading as the student?

I have some building level admins who are monitoring the work (and grades) of students who are taking online courses in the district. What settings do I (as the Canvas Admin) need to set for the Role of a "Building Admin" that I've created that would give these individuals access to search the Canvas system for any student and quickly pull up a list of courses that student is enrolled in?

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jlafrance
Instructure
Instructure

pohlmanma​, to see the enrollments on the user details page (per Chris' suggestion), they will need permission to "See list of users" and "Modify login details for user". I tested this with a custom account role with all permissions disabled except for the two I mentioned. Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

14 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi pohlmanma​...

I wonder if it would be easier for you to just search for the student name in the Managed Account area of your Canvas instance.  Once you search for a student name via the "Find A User" text box on the right side of your screen, there is an "Enrollments" section within the user's profile where you can see the courses a given student is enrolled in.  Here's a Canvas Guide that I found for you: How do I find users in an account?

Also, I wanted to let you know that I'm going to shorten your subject line of this posting and also tag your question with keywords.  The purpose of doing these things is so that it is easier for people to search for should they have similar questions.  If the re-worked subject line doesn't quite reflect the question you are asking, just let me know.  We can work to make any corrections.

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

Thank you for your response, Chris. I see where you're talking about with regard to the "Enrollments" section. I think this is exactly what I'm looking for (on behalf of our building admins).

One follow up question. As I masquerade as one of the building admins (a role I created and assigned), the building admin can search for any student in the system, but when they click on the student's name to view details of that student an error message comes up. Which setting do I need to enable for this role so they can see details for any student? I don't want the building admin to change any grades or anything in any course, but only want them to have the ability to find a student and see what grades that student has. Is that possible?  If so, do you know how?

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 6.47.39 AM.png

Thanks for shortening the name of my question. I appreciate it!

Hello pohlmanma​...

For clarification, which area did you add your custom "Building Admin" role?  When you go to your Admin pages of Canvas, go to your "Permissions" button.  Did you add your custom role to the "Course Roles" tab or to the "Account Roles" tab?  (I'm assuming you added it to the "Account Roles" tab?)

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

Yes, I added it to the "Account Roles" tab.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You might want to check out this information - Canvas Permission Updates - and the attached Canvas Account Roles Permissions. It might help you figure out what you need to have checked so your building admins can see what they need to see.

jlafrance
Instructure
Instructure

pohlmanma​, to see the enrollments on the user details page (per Chris' suggestion), they will need permission to "See list of users" and "Modify login details for user". I tested this with a custom account role with all permissions disabled except for the two I mentioned. Hope that helps!

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

Thank you, Jenn!

This is the one, hidden setting I needed to enable for this new role. I love how these building level admins can now quickly look up a student, see any course they are enrolled in and also look at a few different reports to see information about what that particular student is doing (or not doing) in the course. Thank you very much for helping me find this!  The only loop hole I see with this setting is that it also allows the building admin to masquerade as that student and accidentally or edit "stuff" under that student's account. We'll have to do some PD with these folks so they understand the "power" they now hold.

Much appreciated!

Happy to help, Mark. Also, users can only masquerade if you have the "Become other users" permission enabled for their role. If you don't want the building admins to masquerade, you can remove that permission (if they don't need it).

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

The odd thing is that for the "Building Admin" role I didn't have the "Become other users" option selected. Only the "Modify login details for users" was selected...along with some other "view" options. So I'm not quite sure why the masquerade option was showing up as available for them.