cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pohlmanma
Community Contributor

Viewing Student Course List Without Masquerading

Jump to solution

Original Topic Title: Is there a way to see all of the courses a student is enrolled in without masquerading as the student?

I have some building level admins who are monitoring the work (and grades) of students who are taking online courses in the district. What settings do I (as the Canvas Admin) need to set for the Role of a "Building Admin" that I've created that would give these individuals access to search the Canvas system for any student and quickly pull up a list of courses that student is enrolled in?

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

14 Replies

Hm. That is odd. Can you send me a screenshot of where you are seeing the masquerade option? Permissions sometimes take a little time to change so if you enable or disable permissions you might not see the change take effect immediately.

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 5.44.44 PM.png

As you can see here...I am masquerading as Larry Willoughby...one of our teachers who has recently been assigned the role of "Building Admin". I just turned back on the option to have the Building Admin role be able to "modify login details for users". As you can see, Larry does have the ability to "Become" this student after doing a user search for this particular student.

Thank you, pohlmanma​. I chatted with one of our awesome support team members and we believe the issue here is that when someone with higher permissions tries to masquerade as another user to test their permissions, things can become a little dicey. What I would recommend is to create a test user given the building admin role with the same permissions and log into Canvas directly as that user (as opposed to masquerading). You shouldn't see the "become" link. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Jenn

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

Hi Jenn,

So I've added a testteacher account to the role of "Building Admin". I've logged out of Canvas as myself and logged in with the testteacher UN and PW. I do not have "modify login details for users" or "become other users" enabled for this role, however, the testteacher account (as a building admin) can still become any user in the system...teacher or student.  They cannot change anything in any course, but still I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this role being able to masquerade as others in the system.  Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mark

pohlmanma​, that is so strange! Without the ability to look at your account, it's hard to figure out why that role has masquerade abilities if the permission isn't enabled. The best advice I have for you at this point is to contact support (through the Help menu in your Canvas instance). They can look at your account and dig into this further for you. When you submit a ticket, include the link to this community thread so that they can have some background into what we've tried already.

Thanks!

Jenn