Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noleary
Community Member

Viewing Tally of Class Attendance

Jump to solution

Updated

How do I view a tally of class attendance since the start of a course versus just scrolling through day by day on the attendance page?

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@noleary ​,

Click on the Cog and ask Roll Call for an Attendance Report.

166900_pastedImage_0.png

Fill out the form and then wait for the email notification that it's ready to arrive.

Download the .CSV file from the provided link and open it in Excel.

Click inside the data, but don't select anything.

Go to Insert > Pivot Table and click OK

Drag Student Name to the Rows box, Class Date to the Columns box, and Attendance to the Values box. Now drag Attendance to the Filters box so it is in two places. It should end up looking like this:

167397_pastedImage_3.png

Now, in the pivot table, you'll have this totally useless report.

167398_pastedImage_4.png

To get something useful, you'll need to click on the (All) pull down at the top next to the word Attendance.

Select either absent or present.

167399_pastedImage_5.png

When you click OK, the report changes

Here is a attendance report (just those present)

167400_pastedImage_7.png

You could also turn it into an absence report

167401_pastedImage_8.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @noleary ​...

I am not quite sure of an answer for you.  However, I wanted to let you know that I am going to modify the subject line of your question since it has already been stated in the body of your message (no need to repeat the same question twice).  I am also going to tag your message with keywords.  Both of these things will make it easier for people to search for your topic here in the Canvas Community should they have similar questions.  If the revised subject line doesn't accurately reflect what you are asking in the body of your message, please feel free to let me know, and we can make any needed revisions.  I hope this is okay with you.

James
Community Champion

@noleary ​,

Click on the Cog and ask Roll Call for an Attendance Report.

166900_pastedImage_0.png

Fill out the form and then wait for the email notification that it's ready to arrive.

Download the .CSV file from the provided link and open it in Excel.

Click inside the data, but don't select anything.

Go to Insert > Pivot Table and click OK

Drag Student Name to the Rows box, Class Date to the Columns box, and Attendance to the Values box. Now drag Attendance to the Filters box so it is in two places. It should end up looking like this:

167397_pastedImage_3.png

Now, in the pivot table, you'll have this totally useless report.

167398_pastedImage_4.png

To get something useful, you'll need to click on the (All) pull down at the top next to the word Attendance.

Select either absent or present.

167399_pastedImage_5.png

When you click OK, the report changes

Here is a attendance report (just those present)

167400_pastedImage_7.png

You could also turn it into an absence report

167401_pastedImage_8.png

View solution in original post

noleary
Community Member

So nothing in CANVAS can simply show me the attendance from month to month?

James
Community Champion

Correct.

It is recognized that Attendance does not meet the needs of many people. The best place to see that, and an official response from Canvas about it, is this feature request

Their official response asked that people continue the discussion in that request so that they can more easily monitor it and keep it organized.

carolann1
Community Member

This works but does not include tardiness. I could create a pivot table and write formulas for each of the three results but that would take forever. I'm looking at just duplicating my efforts and keeping a google spreadsheet in addition to Canvas attendance.

Anyone have any other ideas??

Is Canvas looking at revising this any time soon?