cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fordw1
Community Participant

Viewing a quiz in "student view"

Hi. I am unable to open and complete a quiz in student view. The quiz is published, and I see the text of my instructions. What is missing is the button to open the quiz itself. Is any one else reporting this?

Bill Ford

8 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

I haven't heard any issues recently.  Are you using an updated browser?  Can you replicate the bug using a different browser?  Are the "From/Until" dates locking your student out?

kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @fordw1 ‌ - I remember this question coming up earlier, and sure enough I was even involved in the conversation.  At that time, the solution appeared to be to publish the class, but this time around that does not seem to work for me.  (Earlier discussion here: No Take Quiz Button  .)  

My original thought was that this is tied to an administrative setting that may have been set at your institution which does not allow students access to a class before the class has started OR another option that does not allow students to access quizzes, specifically, after a course is "concluded."  (Those are options for administrators to set.)  We're one of the places that does indeed have both of those settings enabled.  When I first tried this on a sample class site on our production server, publishing the class site made the button appear in student view just fine.  But when I moved my sample class to the actual Fall 2017 term, the button then disappeared again...regardless of whether the class was published or not.  That led me to be believe that one of the other administrative settings referenced above tied to term dates causes this issue.  However, I went to our test server, disabled both of those settings (so students, in theory, can access a class before the start date AND see quiz questions after a class is concluded), and that does not solve this issue.

You might just want to report this to Canvas Support (Help>>Report a Problem) to confirm this.  It seems to only affect a class that is tied to a term, regardless of other course settings.  (Even disabling the "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" checkbox in course settings makes no difference.)

The other option--as that discussion above references--is to try using your institution's Test or Beta environments, publish the class, and perhaps have your Canvas administrator move the course from the fall term to one that does not have start/end dates so that the issue will not kick in.  (Such as "Default Term," which I believe everyone has and is not tied to start/end dates.)  

I don't blame you for wanting to try taking a quiz in the student view; while the "Preview" button generally works just fine, not all quiz settings (such as not allowing students to see their responses) are fully replicated in the "Preview" mode as much as they will be in student view.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but I guess this is a long way of saying that so far as I can tell, this indeed seems to be an issue of sorts, and a rare case when "Student View" will not work quite the way we expect it to.

fordw1
Community Participant

Tried it in both Chrome and Firefox - latest versions. From/Until dates seem OK. 

Thanks for your suggestions.

fordw1
Community Participant

Thanks, Ken, for your reply. I am checking with our Admin about the problem. If it is not a simple fix, I will file a help ticket.

regards,

bill ford

gjarrett
Community Participant

Thank you, Ken, for the detailed suggestions. I tried going to my campus' test environment, changing the term dates, unchecking the "participate only during term" box, and even changing the term dates to yesterday, and I was unable to view a quiz in Student View. I tried it on my canvas.instructure.com site and it works, though. I think this may be a Canvas bug; something about how my campus' settings interact with the site. I will report it to my campus' tech support, but I'm not sure if it the error report will flow upstream to Instructure.

kblack
Community Champion

Wow.  Well, maybe we should all file a case with Instructure on this one.   @gjarrett ‌...did even moving the course to the DEFAULT TERM in the Test environment not work?  That's what finally did the trick for me, at least.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fordw1 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

fordw1
Community Participant

Yes, you can mark the question as closed. Thanks!!

Bill Ford

Dr. William F. Ford

Professor, Psychology

Bucks County Community College

Newtown, PA 18940

215-968-8285

William.ford@bucks.edu<mailto:William.ford@bucks.edu>