cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julie_magadan
Community Participant

Viewing student responses in anonymous ungraded survey without having to download report

Jump to solution

Hi,

We used to be able to create an anonymous ungraded survey and view student responses using moderate this survey by clicking on Student 1, Student 2, etc. The students could not be identified, but we could view their contributions to the survey.

Since the Jan 9 release and the change to this code:

"Anonymous Surveys and Student Names

Quiz statistics do not display student names in anonymous surveys.

Explanation: When an instructor viewed the statistics for an anonymous survey, student names could be viewed as part of the number of respondents answer details. This behavior occurred because statistics didn’t account for anonymous survey submissions. Canvas code has been updated to ensure that anonymous surveys remain anonymous."

We are now seeing that even if we click Student 1, Student 2 to view student responses, we get a message that "student's responses are hidden because this assignment is anonymous."  Of course we know the survey is anonymous, but the responses should not be hidden, just their names should be hidden. Also, we can go to survey statistics and still generate/download the student analysis to view the results.  If we can view the results that way, there is no reason to hide them. 🙂

I am trying to determine if the change to the code for the quiz statistics altered this functionality (in an unintended way) or if this is working as desired.  Does anyone else see this happening?  Or maybe I am missing something entirely.

Many thanks in advance.

Julie

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DaleDrees
Community Champion

Hi stefaniesanders  Sorry for the late reply! I did hear back from L2 Canvas support and this is the latest from them:

Thank you for that community link-- you are right, it used to show students' responses under 'Show Student Survey Results'. I am able to find a internal documentation when this change has happened and this will help me escalate this. It's looking like they made the change to the code to fix a previous issue regarding Anonymous Survey (it was showing students names in statistics page) and it completely made it anonymous. Since we are currently in the process of improving Quizzes, I will go ahead and forward this to our Product and Engineering team for further review. I have attached this ticket to a tracker in order for you receive an update regarding this particular feature with Anonymous Survey. Thanks for your patience while we look into this; let me know if you have any other questions for now. Thank you!

View solution in original post

jbrown
Community Participant

However, if you prefer to use surveys with the anonymous option checked, Instructure did make the improvement you seek, posted in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-03-12):

Anonymous Surveys and Student Analysis

Instructors can view the complete results of an anonymous survey in the student analysis page.

Explanation: When students completed an anonymous survey, the survey statistics showed survey questions on a per-question basis and did not display any student names. However, when an instructor clicked the Show Student Survey Results button from the quiz and viewed the number of students who took the survey, clicking the name of a student (shown as Student 1, Student 2, etc.) did not display any individual survey results. Canvas code has been updated to show all survey questions for each student while still hiding the student’s name.

Still, the survey itself can be edited to no longer be anonymous; this in itself is a bigger issue.

13 Replies
DaleDrees
Community Champion

Thanks Julie for posting. I thought I was missing something - I have been talking to Canvas Support on this topic and it was escalated to Level 2 but have not received a clear response yet as they say you need to download the spreadsheet. Our school really liked how you could do  either option as you explained.

julie_magadan
Community Participant

Thanks Dale, this is helpful.  I appreciate your response. For now, we will go with the more time consuming route. 🙂

Julie

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

dreesd​ and  @julie_magadan ​, have you had an update from Canvas Support?

julie_magadan
Community Participant

Hi stefaniesanders​ no, I have not received an update.

Julie

tfreeman
Community Participant

We too here at Michigan Tech are frustrated by this.  I was just about to create a ticket with support but will wait to see what happens here.

DaleDrees
Community Champion

Hi stefaniesanders  Sorry for the late reply! I did hear back from L2 Canvas support and this is the latest from them:

Thank you for that community link-- you are right, it used to show students' responses under 'Show Student Survey Results'. I am able to find a internal documentation when this change has happened and this will help me escalate this. It's looking like they made the change to the code to fix a previous issue regarding Anonymous Survey (it was showing students names in statistics page) and it completely made it anonymous. Since we are currently in the process of improving Quizzes, I will go ahead and forward this to our Product and Engineering team for further review. I have attached this ticket to a tracker in order for you receive an update regarding this particular feature with Anonymous Survey. Thanks for your patience while we look into this; let me know if you have any other questions for now. Thank you!

jbrown
Community Participant

Since "anonymous" surveys are actually NOT anonymous--that is, the instructor can edit the survey after it is complete to not be anonymous after all--perhaps no one should use this option in the first place. Simply communicate to students that the survey is not anonymous (as will be clear in the description when the option is left unchecked). Then, the instructor can view comments easily enough in SpeedGrader--and can opt to "Hide student names in the SpeedGrader" via Settings. At least they would be acting MORE ethical than is being represented by using the not-so-anonymous option.

See related post:

jbrown
Community Participant

However, if you prefer to use surveys with the anonymous option checked, Instructure did make the improvement you seek, posted in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-03-12):

Anonymous Surveys and Student Analysis

Instructors can view the complete results of an anonymous survey in the student analysis page.

Explanation: When students completed an anonymous survey, the survey statistics showed survey questions on a per-question basis and did not display any student names. However, when an instructor clicked the Show Student Survey Results button from the quiz and viewed the number of students who took the survey, clicking the name of a student (shown as Student 1, Student 2, etc.) did not display any individual survey results. Canvas code has been updated to show all survey questions for each student while still hiding the student’s name.

Still, the survey itself can be edited to no longer be anonymous; this in itself is a bigger issue.

quz2
Community Participant

If students are displayed as "student 1", "student 2", you can't see the open-ended comments. It will tell you "This student's responses are hidden because this assignment is anonymous."

In order to see the open-ended comments, you have to go to "Survey statistics" and download the "Student Analysis" report in excel format. Then you will find that it is not anonymous.

I think we will have to use Google Doc. for now.