cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael_lowe
Community Member

Visibility of "Next" and "Previous" Buttons on Mobile

Jump to solution

Why aren't the "Next" and "Previous" buttons visible and active on the mobile version? I love using my iPhone to access my Canvas courses, but I can not use Next or Previous to navigate from page to page or lesson to lesson.

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

14 Replies

@hburgiel ‌

Yes, this has been a long running behavior of the iOS Canvas Student App. I would suggest you consider creating a new feature idea. You'd get my vote. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1330-how-do-i-create-a-new-feature-idea 

Shar
Community Champion

Hello  @hburgiel ‌,

This is a little late in coming, but you can try using /items/first in the link from the homepage to the first page in the module and then in mobile it will (should) continue with the rest of the modules.

Otherwise, I've taken to including a mobile-only link at the bottom of the first page of module to the modules list so that folks can continue on their own. I did this before I learned the /items/first trick.

Cheers - Shar

hburgiel
Community Participant

Thanks Star!

What's a "mobile-only" link?

Shar
Community Champion

Hi again  @hburgiel ‌

Looks like the /items/first trick is not working the way I remember it working from a few months ago.

So a mobile-only link is one that only shows up when the screen width is a certain size:

<div class="hidden-desktop center">
<hr title="mobile link to module" />
<div class="no-print" style="border:thin solid blue;">
Continue this Module
</div>
</div>

In line 1, I used a class to hide the section from showing up on desktop size screens. Here's a table of what those classes do. I learned this trick from a discussion 3 years back and it's been invaluable ever since.

In line 3, I don't remember where I learned the no-print class but it helps so that the content doesn't show up on the printed page. Oddly enough a print-out is not desktop size and the hidden-desktop things show up. Smiley Wink

In line 4, is where you'd add the link to the module they are supposed to be in.

I do not use this trick often, just on the page linked to Start Here from the homepage. The rest of my links to modules actually leads to the spot on the module page for that particular lesson. I like to use module requirements so that check-marks can show up for students to track what they've done in the module. My thought is they only want to visit the first page in the module the first time, but all the rest of the time they are going in to the module for the other pages.

Hope this helps,
Cheers - Shar

danielcktan
Community Contributor

Like to share our experience with this issue.

We are affected by this issue when:

• We use Course Homepage in our courses rather than the default module view,
  • When our users uses Canvas Mobile App to access the course.

We observed 2 events that leads to this issue:

1. Mobile App uses module id to track page navigation.
  2. RCE inserts links in the "pages" format rather than "module" format.

As you can see, there is module item id when the link is in "module" format:
https://lms.learnforlife.sg/courses/1197/modules/items/31210 

When links are inserted from the RCE, the format of the link to the same page is inserted in "pages" format:
https://lms.learnforlife.sg/courses/1197/pages/1-dot-1-overview-transition-planning?module_item_id=3... 

When the links are in "pages" format, there are no mobile item id. These links will work in web browsers but will break the navigation in mobile app as the mobile app rely on the mobile item id as the way to track navigation.

To overcome this problem, we add links by copying the links of the pages from the module view rather than inserting the links using the RCE.

I guess this issues will mean the development teams of RCE and Mobile App have to work together to have a standard solution.