Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
armstrom

WANT TO SET-UP EXAM, NOT QUIZ ON CANVAS (WITH FORMAT USED FOR QUIZ TYPE QUESTIONS)

Jump to solution

I just want to create and post an "exam" as an "exam," NOT a "quiz."  Anyway to do this?  I haven't been able to find anything about setting up an exam rather than just quiz stuff.  Canvas just wants to call everything a "quiz" (and it's using the quiz format rather than anything else that I can discern to do multiple choice, true/false, etc.type questions set-up for only quizzes not for what some instructors wish to call, AN EXAM).  This should be easier than it is via Canvas.  The system is so archaic at times!  Isn't this 2020?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ddaniels

Nope. Your only option is a quiz. Now, when you title it, you can give it the title of "US History Exam," but the actual category that you will use to grade and classify is a quiz.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ddaniels

Nope. Your only option is a quiz. Now, when you title it, you can give it the title of "US History Exam," but the actual category that you will use to grade and classify is a quiz.

Thanks so much, Deirdre - You're absolutely correct.  This is a weakness at this time with Canvas.  Becoming so old school (my students cringe when asked to use Canvas, but it's required).  Yes, I do title testing material as an "exam," but it looks so stupid that the test questions come up stating "start quiz" and such.  Anyway, I appreciate the time you took to respond to my inquiry.  Greatly appreciated!  Eventually, something much better will replace Canvas.  Looking forward to it!

edwardn1
Community Member

That is one of my criticisms, too.  Why call it a quiz?  Even calling it a "test" would be better.  Most of my tests actually are "quizzes" but then I do have a Final Exam at the end - which I label that way and fortunately there are good options for setting it up - but would be nice to know the logic here.

Hi Nancy,

Seeing as you asked I'll try to explain the logic, as least as far as I see it.  We have to call the tool something.  We feel that overall it will cause less confusion if we don't call the tool by multiple names referring to the same tool.  Just like we try to discourage institutions from renaming Canvas to a local name so that when users google, for example "How do I submit my assessment in OnlineJayhawkHub?" they miss all the Canvas resources that we keep up to date.  "Quiz" is the term that market research tells us is the most widely accepted and understood term.  We know that this will not please everyone (Nancy, remember how people fought over assessments vs quizzes in ANGEL?) but we believe that it is the best plan for the most people.  Thanks for asking.

Hi Scott!

OK- Just seems Tests would be more universal, since they are used for Exams and "Quiz" makes it sound too trivial. Yes - I do remember that debate - Assessment is probably too much - I wouldn't argue for that.

Thanks for your reply.

I still think there should be a good way to convert a txt, Word, or rtf file to be used in Canvas - we had a pretty simple tool that did that in ANGEL that worked well - and seems like that was from the very beginning. Bb also allows for that - and recommending that people convert using Bb (which I have done, BTW, but don't any more) is rather strange.

Hope you are staying "in" - I am! We are all OK here.

Nancy

Hey Nancy,

Yes, I remember that text import option with a lot of fondness.  I don't think I ever got good enough to freehand my text files but pretty close.  I also hope we add in something similar for Canvas eventually.  

Staying in and safe here as well.  We have been in total quarantine for over a month now.  My spouse in immune deficient so we are taking zero chances.  Take care.