Weighted Course Rubric

Jump to solution
oscar_segovia
Community Novice

How do I create a weighted rubric for my course?

2 Solutions
pmartinez
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello  @oscar_segovia  and welcome to the Canvas Community! Thanks for reaching out and your question. I've listed below a few how-to guides in reference to your question:

How do I align an outcome with a rubric in a course?  

How do I add a rubric in a course?  

How do I manage rubrics in a course?  

How do I add a rubric to an assignment?  

What are Rubrics? 

Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet 

Hope this is helpful. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
James
Community Champion

@oscar_segovia 

When I first saw this question, I left it for someone else to answer. There was some non-standard usage of words that confused me and I wasn't sure what you were asking. The words weighted, rubric, and course don't go together in Canvas. When that happens, I normally chalk it up to someone being unfamiliar with Canvas or language / locale variations (example, although both Australia and the United States use English, Australia calls it Marks while the United States calls it Grades).

It is possible that Priscilla correctly interpreted the question, but there's enough doubt left in my mind about what the question was that I wanted to respond.

I'm going to explain my thought process, give a couple of places to look, and then provide the ultimate resource in case I still missed it.

The difficulty is that rubrics are tied to assignments, not the course, and rubrics aren't weighted -- at least not in the Canvas use of the word.

Rubrics can go with outcomes and there is a method to compute an average that uses weighting and they are entered at the course level (this seemed like a stretch to me).

Weight is a word normally associated with assignment groups and a weighted gradebook and it is accomplished at the course level. That has consistent use of two of the three words and if you consider a rubric to be something that determines a scheme, then it might be what you're talking about. Here is a lesson on how to do that: How do I weight the final course grade based on assignment groups? 

The other thing I thought of is that it might be related to a course or assignment grading scheme. It's kind of like a rubric in that it takes a score and gives a description and you can set your own cutoffs, so it might be considered weighting.

In case Priscilla's answer wasn't what you were looking for and none of the above links helped either, here is a link to the Canvas Instructor Guide, where you can use your browser's find function to look for terms such as rubric, weight, assignment group, outcome, or grading scheme. Those links provided all come from that guide.

View solution in original post