cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlocke

Weighted grades are different from actual quiz grades.

Jump to solution

I have two important quizzes, weighted for 12.5% each. Students have just taken one, and they will take the other one later in the semester. My problem? The grade displayed for the quiz is NOT the grade displayed in the weighted column! This is misleading and confusing to students, who wonder why their 96 became a 93, and which one I will count. Is there some way to make one column invisible to students?

I read somewhere that it might be because I have a weighted column that is unfilled. This is unlikely: final exams, for instance, would cause problems for the whole semester before being filled in.

1 Solution
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jlocke .  If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions so that I can better picture what you are experiencing.  Reading your post, it sounds as though you have two quizzes in separate assignment groups, each weighted 12.5% of the final grade.  The remaining 75% of the final grade is in other assignment groups (some filled and some unfilled).  What you are noticing is that if students are given a grade for one of these two quizzes, the percent that appears in the gradebook column for that quiz does not match the grade that appears in the column for the same assignment group toward the end of the gradebook.  What you are hoping is that there is a way to hide the assignment group grade column.  Is this correct?  Also, are you using the newer or older gradebook?

I was thinking about your situation but wanted to be sure that I have the correct impression of what is happening.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jlocke .  If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions so that I can better picture what you are experiencing.  Reading your post, it sounds as though you have two quizzes in separate assignment groups, each weighted 12.5% of the final grade.  The remaining 75% of the final grade is in other assignment groups (some filled and some unfilled).  What you are noticing is that if students are given a grade for one of these two quizzes, the percent that appears in the gradebook column for that quiz does not match the grade that appears in the column for the same assignment group toward the end of the gradebook.  What you are hoping is that there is a way to hide the assignment group grade column.  Is this correct?  Also, are you using the newer or older gradebook?

I was thinking about your situation but wanted to be sure that I have the correct impression of what is happening.

Thanks!

jlocke

Eric, this is exactly the case. You got it in one. As far as new or older gradebook, I cannot say. My college has abandoned Blackboard so this is my first semester using Canvas at all. If you can tell me how to find out, I will be happy to update this answer. If I can make my weighted grade match the quiz grade--or even merge the two, so that I don't have these two columns side-by-side, it would be wonderful.

0 Kudos

Hey  @jlocke ,

I hope you don't mind that I took a peek at your course and at how you have the assignment groups set up specifically.  I noticed that one of your assignment groups is weighted but contains no assignments and you have multiple assignments in another group (which might be fine if that is your preference).  At any rate, I would suggest that you seek help from someone at College of the Desert, or barring that, file a ticket with Support.  They would be happy to walk you through configuring your groups and weighting. 

Cheers,

SD

jlocke

I really would have preferred you to let me know first that you wanted to get into my course. It really unsettled me about student privacy if someone from a different timezone, even, can have a look at my students' grades.

In one module, I have many many many "assignments" that are ungraded. Each one is specific to one specific student: this is because I have an activity in which each student has to have an individual set of instructions. In Canvas, there is no way to do that aside from doing it as an assignment. In Blackboard, you could specify to make a file available to one student, all students, or a predetermined group of students. This is a separate issue, however.

I have not yet put in the second assignment (again, I am porting into Canvas newly this semester, so things are not set up now as we speak to the degree that they would be a year from now) but I will do it over spring break. That still leaves me with a discrepancy between the two grades. There is no reason for there to be a discrepancy that should lower the grade by two points.

0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I apologize if I unsettled you.  If it helps any I am a full-time employee of Instructure in Salt Lake and used to frequently answer support tickets before moving into my current role.

Seeing as you mentioned the multiple non-graded assignments I'll just say that you can limit access to content (not just assignments) to specific sections and groups so there is a way to make it so one student only sees their 'own' content.  

Out of respect for your privacy, I hesitate to say much more about what content currently exists in your course or how you have it configured currently except to reiterate that you contact support.  You are also quite welcome to DM me if you like - happy to help in any way that I can.

Scott, thank you for clarifying this. I sort of thought that you were some random guy who wanted to be helpful. That was really unnerving. Now I am a little clearer and that makes me far more comfortable.

This is a huge bug and strange bug! I would like to DM you about suggestions how to fix this.

Hi Jason,

Please do feel free to DM me.

Thanks,

SD