cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rprevost
Community Participant

Weighting Assignments within a Group

Jump to solution

I am trying to figure out how to weigh assignments within a group.  I have an assignment for a class presentation which is worth 10% of the overall grade for the course.  The assignment itself is divided into two parts:  first, prepare an annotated bibliography and second the in-class presentation itself.  The bibliography is worth 10% of the overall grade for the class presentation, while the presentation itself is worth 90% of the grade. How should I set this up in Canvas? 

When we were using Moodle, weighing parts of an assignment was fairly easy, but so far, I have not figure out a way to do this in Canvas.

Robert Prevost

Wingate University

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi Robert,

Within an assignment group, grades are weighted "proportionally"--the more points the item has, the more it's worth.  So, the way to do what you want is to create an assignment group for this particular assignment worth 10% of the overall course grade, then put both parts of the assignment into that group and make the biography worth 10 points and the presentation worth 90 points (or some equivalent ratio).

Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi Robert,

Within an assignment group, grades are weighted "proportionally"--the more points the item has, the more it's worth.  So, the way to do what you want is to create an assignment group for this particular assignment worth 10% of the overall course grade, then put both parts of the assignment into that group and make the biography worth 10 points and the presentation worth 90 points (or some equivalent ratio).

Mike

View solution in original post

rprevost
Community Participant

Thanks.  Than information is exactly what I needed.