cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcarlucc
Community Participant

What Is Best Practice for Rolling Enrollments and Flexible Term Dates?

Jump to solution

I am interested in gathering some community feedback on the best practice for enrollments that might end later than the specified term date in Canvas. I'll provide our most recent use-case:

This semester term, Fall 2018, ends on December 21. We have roughly 115 courses set to this term. About half of these courses have a variety of different end dates in Maestro (our SIS). Some are partnership schools, others may be students that were added later. Whatever the case, the dates vary between January to May.

Solutions I've come up with thus far:

• Change the course date at the course level, which would require me to go into every course, a tedious manual process, and something I would have to do every term in perpetuity. Problem with this is it restricts all users, not just students. 
  • Use SIS Imports to bulk change course dates at the course level. Same two problems as above.
  • Create multiple terms - for example "Fall 2018 Rolling Enrollments" term - and set the date to the last ending course for the rolling enrollment courses. Over time this would create an absurd amount of terms in Canvas.

The goal is to restrict the students from the courses that have ended, but allow the courses with later end dates to continue, and also allow teachers continued access to their courses for months following an end date. Drop in suggestions for what you may have found to be the best practice for your school. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adamwarecs
Instructure
Instructure

Just advising that this topic has now moved to the VE&T area of the Canvas community here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Vocational-Ed-Training/Managing-Rolling-Enrolments/ba-p/273175.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gcarlucc , to help get your discussion a bit more visibility I’ve shared it with the Canvas Admins‌ group in the Community. I know we have some other schools with rolling enrollment that participate in the Community so hopefully some of them will see this and respond. 

Kona

jlubkinchavez
Community Participant

Blane, I am working through a similar challenge myself so I am puzzling through all of the info around dates. I think you might be conflating "concluding a course" and setting an end date for a course. Based on this doc (How do I conclude a course at the end of a term as an instructor?) setting an end date for a course does not make it read only for instructors and is an alternative to "concluding" a course, which would restrict all users. That being the case, your second bullet seems like the way the go. Is that what you settled on? I'd be curious for an update.

jlubkinchavez
Community Participant

And in case you didn't see it this blog post on managing rolling enrollments may prove helpful:  https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/vet/blog/2019/02/24/managing-rolling-enrolments

adamwarecs
Instructure
Instructure

Just advising that this topic has now moved to the VE&T area of the Canvas community here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Vocational-Ed-Training/Managing-Rolling-Enrolments/ba-p/273175.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos