cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bweiss
Community Participant

What are the best hidden gems in Canvas that you didn't think you could do originally?

Jump to solution

Hello all!

I'm putting together a workshop focusing on all of the great things that can be done in Canvas that you didn't think you could do. The idea behind the workshop came to me as I was continually asked questions with the premise of the idea that "I used to be able to do this in Blackboard, but I can't in Canvas". When in reality, you can usually do the same or better things in Canvas!

Some ideas that I already have:

• Using Redirect tool to add a custom link in the Course navigation
  • Using "/api/v1" in the assignment link to see when the assignment was originally created
  • Revision history on Pages
  • Using the Test Environment to recover course information (depending when the environment is refreshed)
  • Adding apps
  • Enabling optional course features such as Mastery Paths and other beta features

What is your favorite thing you've found you can do in Canvas that you didn't think you could do originally? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

Thanks for the kind words, jschaffer. Our 6 y/o (aka Canvas Kid) may differ on who the genius is. She wore a "genius" shirt this last week and while we were making our own candy bar at HersheyWorld, she insisted as entering her last name as genius.

View solution in original post

43 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Great prompt,  @bweiss ‌! You might be interested in looking through the plethora of tips and tricks in https://community.canvaslms.com/message/48511 .

jschaffer
Community Champion

@bweiss ‌,

I am not sure about your target audience here, but for me managing a team of admins, I love the fact that you can do almost ANYTHING via API.  Specifically for us, we gate our courses so that modules/weeks open on at the beginning of the week, and then close at the end.  The fact that every assignment in Canvas, regardless of type (Quiz/Discussion/Assignment) has a unique assignment_id that allows you to parse into a single API call to manipulate, create, or edit as you see fit is a huge help to us.

The ability to programmatically access the course allows us to be more efficient in setting up our courses, while also  preventing errors that are associated with a manual update.  It also gives us the flexibility to adapt to changes in our policies, courses, or processes very easily.  We have full control and ability to develop what we want.

If you are interested in some content, I recommend pretty much anything by  @James ‌.  He is a genius, and very gracious in sharing his code, templates, and processes with the community.  I hope this helps.

Jason

jschaffer
Community Champion

@kmeeusen ‌,

I agree.  This has come in handy more than once for us.  

James
Community Champion

Thanks for the kind words, jschaffer. Our 6 y/o (aka Canvas Kid) may differ on who the genius is. She wore a "genius" shirt this last week and while we were making our own candy bar at HersheyWorld, she insisted as entering her last name as genius.

View solution in original post

"Undelete" is the first thing I thought of and was going to mention it so I'll have to settle for a Helpful, Like and Badge:  @kmeeusen  Nice Work

GregoryBeyrer
Community Champion

One of the ways that Canvas is better than other systems I've used is how easy it is to use email with the internal messaging tool. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Pretty much all of the Canvancements - Canvas Enhancements‌! 🙂

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

I originally thought people needed their own webspace to do Twitter widgets (javascript), but thanks to help I got here at the Community, I learned you can do it all just using Canvas Files and Pages. I've documented what I learned here:

Twitter4Canvas Home

Yay for Twitter! Yay for Canvas! 🙂