cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
george_hatsidim
Community Participant

What are the options for students to share files within the Canvas environment?

I need students to be able to share files (specifically pdf files that constitute reading materials) before certain classes. One option that comes to mind is setting up a discussion thread and then having the students share files during the course of the discussion. Are there other, perhaps better, ways of doing this?

thanks,

George.

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@george_hatsidim , if they need to upload then using a discussion is probably the easiest and most straightforward thing to do. If they just needed to add a link to the file then another option with be a shared (Google) Collaboration. Otherwise there’s not a great built in way for students to share files with each other. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening,  @george_hatsidim ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on March 19, 2018.  It looks like  @kona ‌ replied to you a day later with some feedback.  Have you had an opportunity to review her feedback?  If so, has her reply helped to answer your question?  Or, do you still have questions about students being able to share files?  If you feel that Kona's reply has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark her response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help and suggestions, please come back to this thread to post an update for us so that someone from the Community might be able to respond.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, George.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

twassmer
Community Participant

This is a quite old thread and I wonder if there is now a way for students to share files with the class under Files as that is where students would usually look for. I do not use discussions as I teach physical and blended classes only.

Thanks in advance!

Tom