Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theresa_dorn
Community Member

What are the steps to Cross-list 2 Courses and have the ability to add/drop students from the correct course after the term starts?

Jump to solution

We are trying to figure out how to Cross-list 2 Courses (not sections).

We are able to cross list, but adding students to the "child course" after the cross list did not work. Does anyone have the exact steps needed to cross-list two courses, not loose materials from either course, be able to desegregate data scores at the end of the term, add/drop late students?

Faculty cross-list their own courses. We are adding students manually, for the next couple of terms. There are no students in either course yet.

Thanks in advance,

Theresa

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @theresa_dorn ...

Let's say that you have two courses, A and B.  You would like to cross-list these two courses so that all the enrollments from course B get fed into course A.  To do this, you'll want to first log in to course B.  Then, you'll want to follow the directions given in this Guide: How do I cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?.  When you get to the section on "Search for Course", you'll be searching for course A.  Once you have completed the cross-listing, all your enrollments from course B will be displayed inside the "People" tab of course A, and you should be able to identify which course they came from based on the "Section" column...as shown in this Guide: How do I use the People page in a course as an instructor?.

It sounds like you are then wanting to enroll students in course B after the term/course has started.  The key to this is to not go into course B.  Rather, if you are manually enrolling students, you'll want to do this all in course A.  Using this Guide, How do I add users to a course?, scroll down to the section on "Select User Details" (about half-way down the screen).  You'll see that you should be given the ability to select the "Section" (in your case, this will be either course A or course B) where you can assign a given student to either course.

Also, just a quick note for you on when you said, "not loose materials from either course".  Cross-listing courses does not move course content/materials from one course to another.  It really only moves your enrollments from one course to another.  So, even if you have course content in course A and course B, even after you cross-list them together, the content should remain in both courses.  The difference is that all students from both course A and course B will see the content in course A.

Finally, we have our Banner SIS (Student Information System) connected to Canvas, so all course shells and enrollments get sent from our SIS to Canvas.  Even after we cross-list courses, Canvas still knows that enrollments from our course B (for example) should go into course A.  You might want to look into that with your IT folks at your school.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Theresa.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
theresa_dorn
Community Member

Is this not possible or did I miss a step?

0 Kudos
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @theresa_dorn ...

Let's say that you have two courses, A and B.  You would like to cross-list these two courses so that all the enrollments from course B get fed into course A.  To do this, you'll want to first log in to course B.  Then, you'll want to follow the directions given in this Guide: How do I cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?.  When you get to the section on "Search for Course", you'll be searching for course A.  Once you have completed the cross-listing, all your enrollments from course B will be displayed inside the "People" tab of course A, and you should be able to identify which course they came from based on the "Section" column...as shown in this Guide: How do I use the People page in a course as an instructor?.

It sounds like you are then wanting to enroll students in course B after the term/course has started.  The key to this is to not go into course B.  Rather, if you are manually enrolling students, you'll want to do this all in course A.  Using this Guide, How do I add users to a course?, scroll down to the section on "Select User Details" (about half-way down the screen).  You'll see that you should be given the ability to select the "Section" (in your case, this will be either course A or course B) where you can assign a given student to either course.

Also, just a quick note for you on when you said, "not loose materials from either course".  Cross-listing courses does not move course content/materials from one course to another.  It really only moves your enrollments from one course to another.  So, even if you have course content in course A and course B, even after you cross-list them together, the content should remain in both courses.  The difference is that all students from both course A and course B will see the content in course A.

Finally, we have our Banner SIS (Student Information System) connected to Canvas, so all course shells and enrollments get sent from our SIS to Canvas.  Even after we cross-list courses, Canvas still knows that enrollments from our course B (for example) should go into course A.  You might want to look into that with your IT folks at your school.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Theresa.

theresa_dorn
Community Member

Thank you, thank you!!!  @Chris_Hofer ‌