cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maraw
Community Member

What do the icons next to my user name in Canvas Commons mean?

Jump to solution

Sometimes I see a pink smiley face, sometimes a blue face with glasses, sometimes a reddish orange face.  Are these random, or do they mean something?  I can't figure out the pattern.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

The icon in question should be your profile picture in Canvas, that is how it appears for me:

174828_pastedImage_0.png

I am not sure why it is not appearing for others. It could be that Commons is not integrated with your main Canvas account? I am sure it is (especially in your case  @kona , but that could be one reason. This appears for me under Account/Settings on your main Canvas UI:

174829_pastedImage_1.png

@kona ​ I looked up a resource shared by you and your profile picture does not appear for me either.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@maraw ​, could you possibly take screen shot of what you're seeing? I've never seen anything like you are describing in Commons and even double-checked just now to see if I was missing something; below is a screen shot of my view of Commons.

CanvasCommons.png

Updated...

So after posting I dug a little deeper and found what you are talking about.

CanvasCommons2.png

I went out of Commons and then went right back in and the profile icon changed to something different. Because nothing changed between seeing the different icons, my guess is that it's completely random. It would be nice if the icon was my profile picture from Canvas, but I didn't see a place to change/edit it in Commons.

josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

The icon in question should be your profile picture in Canvas, that is how it appears for me:

174828_pastedImage_0.png

I am not sure why it is not appearing for others. It could be that Commons is not integrated with your main Canvas account? I am sure it is (especially in your case  @kona , but that could be one reason. This appears for me under Account/Settings on your main Canvas UI:

174829_pastedImage_1.png

@kona ​ I looked up a resource shared by you and your profile picture does not appear for me either.

View solution in original post

@josh_emmitt , thanks for helping with this! I double-checked everything you suggested and can't seem to figure out why my profile picture isn't showing up in Commons (it's integrated with my main Canvas account and I can see the approved integration under my third party applications), so it's definitely a mystery! Yet, I'm sure you're correct that it should be your profile picture and if (for whatever reason) your profile pictures isn't showing up then it rotates through some funny generic icons.

snugent
Community Champion

I noticed with my account anything I shared last year has my profile picture but anything I shared this year has the strange smiley faces. Not sure what is going on.

2016-03-07_16-29-46.png2016-03-07_16-29-19.png

josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

Hmm that does seem odd. It may be worth raising a ticket about it with Canvas help.

maraw
Community Member

Thanks, everyone! We are testing Commons at the moment, so that is likely why my profile picture is not populating.  It is great to know what it should look like when fully integrated.

I'm glad to hear the icons are simply random.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out the pattern in which they appeared!