cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonaldGuymon
Community Member

What do the numbers represent in the filenames of submission downloads?

Jump to solution

Hello, when I download submissions for an assignment, the filenames appear to have the students' last and first name added on, as well as two sets of numbers. What do those numbers mean?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Ronald,

Typically, that kind of thing is done to avoid possible "collusions" of files with the same name.  It's usually based on something like the timestamp when the file was submitted, though I'm not positive how Canvas does it.  You should not assume that the numbers "mean" anything in particular for the instructor.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Ronald,

Typically, that kind of thing is done to avoid possible "collusions" of files with the same name.  It's usually based on something like the timestamp when the file was submitted, though I'm not positive how Canvas does it.  You should not assume that the numbers "mean" anything in particular for the instructor.

View solution in original post

Thanks, mZimmerman. I was hoping that the numbers included some form of time stamp so that I could download all the files and record the submission time and date based on the file name. It sounds like that won't work, though. Not a big deal. I appreciate your answer.

Best regards,

Ron

Hey Ron,

It may be derived from the timestamp, I'm not sure, but I don't see any (simple, obvious) way to decipher it.

Mike