Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chebert3

What does "file upload submission" do in Grades?

Jump to solution

I'm grading and providing comments for my students' first assignments. This is my first time using the Grades portion of Canvas. In the column for this particular assignment, there's an image (a sheet of paper) showing the assignment each student uploaded. If I click on that image of the paper, a black dialogue box appears saying "file upload submission," and the image of the paper is replaced with a rectangle with a dash in it. If I click (again) on that rectangle with a dash in it, the image changes to a big checkmark. The checkmark is (I guess) telling me I did something. But what did I do?

What does "file upload submission" mean? What does it mean that the paper image has changed to a checkmark? 

I can't figure out what this sequence is doing or why.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@chebert3 ​, let's try to work through your questions.

The image of the paper is showing that the student submitted something to the assignment. The file upload submission indicates that the student uploaded a file to the assignment. If you want to view this file (as well as comment on in and grade it) you would want to go to Speedgrader for the Assignment (in general this is where I do all of my grading).

Here are a few guides that will help with this:

How do I get to SpeedGrader from the Gradebook?

How do I get to SpeedGrader from an assignment, quiz, or graded discussion?

How do I use SpeedGrader?

The checkmark indicates that you set up the assignment to be graded as complete/incomplete. The checkmark indicates that it's "complete." If this isn't the way you want it then you would need to go to the assignment and edit the settings - specifically "display grade as."

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@chebert3 ​, let's try to work through your questions.

The image of the paper is showing that the student submitted something to the assignment. The file upload submission indicates that the student uploaded a file to the assignment. If you want to view this file (as well as comment on in and grade it) you would want to go to Speedgrader for the Assignment (in general this is where I do all of my grading).

Here are a few guides that will help with this:

How do I get to SpeedGrader from the Gradebook?

How do I get to SpeedGrader from an assignment, quiz, or graded discussion?

How do I use SpeedGrader?

The checkmark indicates that you set up the assignment to be graded as complete/incomplete. The checkmark indicates that it's "complete." If this isn't the way you want it then you would need to go to the assignment and edit the settings - specifically "display grade as."

Hope this helps!

I see. I couldn't figure out if it was telling me that I was somehow, somewhere uploading the students' submissions.

So for a complete/incomplete assignment, it's possible to grade it by clicking on the paper, without having to enter SpeedGrader or by going through each submission manually. That's helpful, thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, you can grade like this directly from the gradebook!