cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevensons
Community Contributor

What happened to the audio embed tool?

Jump to solution

I will preface my question by saying that I just got a new laptop with Windows 10, and I *think* I have installed all the needed add-ons (Flash, Java) but I may have missed something...

I'm working on a tabbed list of audio files for a humanities class. (stefaniesanders​ might remember this. Smiley Happy) It was working as expected until a few days ago. By "expected," I mean that I would insert the mp3 file in the appropriate location, and it would automatically be inserted as a Canvas audio file, with the usual audio-embed icon. Now, all of a sudden, when I try the same thing, it only inserts a download link to the file. To my knowledge, I have not exceeded the file size quota--but maybe there's a quota on the actual number of audio files?

Also, the Files tab on the content selector doesn't look quite the same. The vertical scroll bar inside the content selector is no longer there.

I was using the newest Firefox 48, but I had the same problem when I tried logging in on Edge. I tried rolling back to Firefox 47 but that didn't help either. I'm hoping I've just missed something in the transition to a new computer. Help please!! The only other option that seems to work for inserting the embedded audio is by inserting it as a media comment, but then I don't have the same control over the files themselves, which I organized all nice and neat into their own folder.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevensons
Community Contributor

Sorry, you can disregard the above reply. It seems to be working normally again. Perhaps our admin did something. (I couldn't find the Remote Sidebar in my individual feature options.)

In any case, yay! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

13 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @stevensons ​...

Also, the Files tab on the content selector doesn't look quite the same. The vertical scroll bar inside the content selector is no longer there.

This was a part of yesterday's new features an updates.  Please see the information posted here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-7881#jive_content_id_Rich_Content_Editor.  You can also watch the video here at the 2 minute 9 second mark:

Hope this helps answer part of your question, Sarah!

stevensons
Community Contributor

OK, thanks! It does answer part of the question. Smiley Happy  I'm really hoping someone will be able to answer the rest...

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@stevensons ​, I wish I could help you with this...but if I recall correctly, (1) the solution to which I linked was for a table, not for tabs, and (2) the solution employed embed codes for YouTube videos--not .mp3 files linked from the Files area. So I don't have any hands-on experience with the method you decided to adopt, and can't say why the videos aren't automatically displaying an audio embed icon (and frankly, I'm surprised that they ever did; I would only expect that to happen if you had used the Insert Media icon in the RCE).

Of course, my memory is by no means perfect Smiley Wink ...so if we discussed a tabbed solution for videos that employed links from files, can you provide me with the link to that discussion?

stevensons
Community Contributor

That's true--it was actually a series of tables on tabbed pages, which ends up looking like this:

MusicalTracksScreenshot.JPG

I thought I remembered using the insert file tool rather than the insert media comment tool--but if it did this, it sounds like that wasn't normal behavior? Doh!

This is what the HTML looks like for the pages that I put together before:

<td style="height: 150px;" width="410px">Piano Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, &lsquo;Pathetique&rsquo; by Beethoven, Ludwig van<br /><a id="media_comment_m-3YjBHBLcHZ8NCyAZr84bPaXXnZUSnoeK" class=" instructure_audio_link instructure_file_link" title="Track40-Beethoven.mp3" href="https://community.canvaslms.com/courses/1963/files/83983/download?wrap=1" target="" data-api-endpoint="https://yosemite.instructure.com/api/v1/courses/1963/files/83983" data-api-returntype="File"></a></td>

It's not quite the same as the code for a regular media comment, nor is it the same as the code for a file download--it has an extra id selector (which seems to be auto-generated) and another class selector. Anyway, I'm just going to do the insert media comments for now, but I figured I'd post this in case it's useful in some way...

Thanks, all!

@stevensons ​, to me, this part of the HTML--

...<a id="media_comment_m-3YjBHBLcHZ8NCyAZr84bPaXXnZUSnoeK" class=" instructure_audio_link instructure_file_link...

--suggests that when you first created this, you did indeed insert the audio files through the Insert Media Comment tool; I don't see how a link out to the file in your Files area would generate that same code.

Your post is useful indeed, though. I wonder if you'd be willing to create a resource in the Instructional Designers​ group that simply consists of (1) a screenshot of the finished tabbed interface containing tables (2) the code behind the interface and (3) a very quick listing of the workflow steps. While I believe we have resources that show how to create the tabbed interface and how to create the media array within the table, I don't think we yet have one that combines the two--and speaking personally, I would certainly find a way to use this.Smiley Happy

stevensons
Community Contributor

Hi stefaniesanders,

I'd be happy to put that together as soon as I finish converting my fall classes. Our semester starts on the 29th and I've still got a fair bit to do. Once I'm more on top of things, I will do it!

Sarah

@stevensons ​, look what I just saw in my inbox!  Did the Rich Content Editor change how videos are displayed recently? Apparently, what you've experienced has to do with the new Remote Sidebar. The workaround is to disable it in the Feature Options, and you should then submit a support ticket.

stevensons
Community Contributor

Oho! Is the Feature Options something that is admin-level? If so, I'll let our admin know. Thank you!

(I'm glad I am not the only one to be having this issue...I got paranoid because of having gotten a new laptop! Now I know it isn't just me. Smiley Happy)

stevensons
Community Contributor

Sorry, you can disregard the above reply. It seems to be working normally again. Perhaps our admin did something. (I couldn't find the Remote Sidebar in my individual feature options.)

In any case, yay! Smiley Happy