Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kate_mcdill

What is best way to allow students to 'audit' a course?

We want to allow students to audit a course, and our Canvas is synchronized with our SIS, Populi. We do not want a grade in Populi. 

Do you create a role called Auditor, with the same permissions as Student?

Thank you.

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kate_mcdill , I'm not sure if it will work for you or not, but we do something similar to what you suggested in creating a new role based on the student role. To see if others have better/different suggestions I'm going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed?sr=search&searchId=3a2ae712-34a6-4304-80f4-18900999...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=6d273587-1580-4dd9-bf73-ad010598c80...‌ groups in the Community to see if they can help.

mark_wittervan

Hi, we have an 'Auditing Student' role with the same rights as a student. This role can then be added to course as required.  It provides a good visual indicator for academics and help with Analytics.

kate_mcdill

Thank you, Mark. I appreciate your thought.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @kate_mcdill ...

I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for over two months, and so I wanted to check in with you.  In reviewing the responses you've received from both  @kona ‌ and  @mark_wittervan , it looks like you've received some good help here.  Did one of the above responses ultimately help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance?  If one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  But, if you're still looking for some assistance and suggestions, please let the Canvas Community know by posting a message below.  For now, since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite a while, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below.  I hope that's alright with you, Kate.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

sim1

Hi Kate. It's been two years since you posted this and I'm curious how you're managing auditors for your courses in Canvas. We also use Populi for our SIS, so I'd like to pick your brain on that some other time. 

For about two years, we had Populi give auditors the role "Observing: nobody" and it's worked well so far. However, we're now in a situation where some students auditing a course need to take practice quizzes but can't in the observer role. If we create a student/auditor role with student base permissions, they show up where we don't want them: in the gradebook. 

Any thoughts on how to give auditors a role in Canvas that would allow them to take practice quizzes but not show up in the gradebook?