What is happening when the "hide a grade" feature posts grades with out my permission?

Jump to solution
bhaderlie
Community Member

What is happening when the "hide a grade" feature posts grades with out my permission? It randomly does this when I am grading group papers. And then I hide them again.

But then students somehow see parts of the grade and/or comments and are contacting me confused and then not able to see all the feedback comments, etc. Which I do not want them to see until "I" release/post the grades when ready. 

This is a real pain with "Hide grades" where I did not experience this before with "Muting" Help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @bhaderlie ,

The "hide" option just takes currently posted grades and hides them from students.  The Hide action, unlike the previous mute functionality, does not really affect what happens when you enter new/future grades.  To control what happens with newly entered grades, you'll want to look at your grade posting policy (either for the specific assignment or the entire course).  With the automatic setting (default), any new grades you enter will be released to students immediately.  If you don't want students to see their grades right away, you can change the post policy to the manual setting.  With the manual setting, you'll need to choose the post option form the gradebook column when you're ready for the grades to be released to students.

Hope that clears things up a bit.  I know many of our teachers were confused too when this change rolled out a couple years ago.

-Chris

View solution in original post