Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
william_cooper

What is media conversion on Canvas and why does it take so long?

Jump to solution

I had students record a self-introduction directly to Canvas.  For a small but noticeable number, I receive the message "Media is currently being converted, please try again in a little bit.", even though some of the recordings were made a week ago. 

Thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@william_cooper , this question comes up often (see Media Uploads Not Loading , Media has been queued for conversion? , Problem using media upload , and Difficulties Uploading MP4 Videos , for example). Just last night I worked with a student who recorded a short video on her iPhone on Saturday night, uploaded it through the media upload tool, and still had the "Media is currently being converted" message on her screen Sunday evening. I advised her to open a ticket with Canvas Support, re-upload the video to YouTube and use the video embed code to complete her assignment, and notify her instructor.

So far the only way I've seen to remedy these issues is to have the affected students submit their own help tickets so that Canvas Support can investigate the hanging uploads. Ideally they should open the ticket directly from the page on which they're attempting the media upload so that metadata that can assist in the investigation will be captured and sent to Support along with the help request.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@william_cooper , this question comes up often (see Media Uploads Not Loading , Media has been queued for conversion? , Problem using media upload , and Difficulties Uploading MP4 Videos , for example). Just last night I worked with a student who recorded a short video on her iPhone on Saturday night, uploaded it through the media upload tool, and still had the "Media is currently being converted" message on her screen Sunday evening. I advised her to open a ticket with Canvas Support, re-upload the video to YouTube and use the video embed code to complete her assignment, and notify her instructor.

So far the only way I've seen to remedy these issues is to have the affected students submit their own help tickets so that Canvas Support can investigate the hanging uploads. Ideally they should open the ticket directly from the page on which they're attempting the media upload so that metadata that can assist in the investigation will be captured and sent to Support along with the help request.