What is the easiest way for students to submit photos of written work?

Jump to solution
abeitsch
Community Novice

I am looking to set an economics task where I want students to show their understanding through drawing diagrams on paper so that it can be done in timed conditions. What is the easiest way for students to do this (while working under a bit of pressure from timed conditions)?. Is there a way for students to activate their device camera to take a photo as a file submission or do they have to photograph the graph they drew, save the file somewhere and then submit it that way? This is to cater for students learning remotely. Looking to have multiple submissions for the task. 

1 Solution
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for coming and asking this question.  In this time particularly, many people are wrestling with similar challenges. 

I'd like to give you an unsolicited (but free) piece of advice.  Smiley Happy  Rather than thinking about the activities you would normally do face to face and then trying to replicate them in an online environment, step back and start from what your underlying goal is.  If your goal is that students demonstrate their understanding of creating an economic diagram that is indicative of certain facts or findings, start from there and try to think of assignments or activities that would be conducive to the online, asynchronous environment.   Maybe you could get them to create a presentation that describes all the steps in the process, explaining why each is critical, and then drop off that presentation in a Canvas assignment.  Or maybe they could take screenshots of their work and send those, along with explanations of how they got there.

Back to your question, I believe if the students are using the mobile apps there is a way for them to take a pic from within the app and submit that to an assignment.  You'd definitely want to test that to be sure.  If they are using a web browser they would need to take a screenshot or use a device to take a picture and then upload either as a file.  Canvas doesn't have native proctoring features like a locked down browser.  You can put a time limit on a quiz.  There is a file upload question type.  So you could conceivably have the student begin the quiz, be presented with a way to download a file and then be required to modify it in some way and then re-upload it to the question and submit the quiz before the time ran out.  Of course there would be nothing preventing them from sharing the file so it might be good to have each student work with an individual variable if possible.

View solution in original post