cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenwon
Community Participant

What is the maximum size for a media file in a discussion post?

Jump to solution

All,

I have asked my students to post 5 minute video or presentation files to the discussion forum, which they will then need to comment on.  I have students who are getting their posts kicked back for being too big.  What is the size limit for media files?

Thanks!

Jennifer Wondracek

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

jenwon​,

The maximum file size upload is 500 MB per file.  This is for any type of file.

Robbie

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

jenwon​,

The maximum file size upload is 500 MB per file.  This is for any type of file.

Robbie

View solution in original post

jenwon
Community Participant

So 4 MB files should definitely not be being kicked out...hmmm...will need to investigate further to see why a "file is too big" message is being shown to the students.

Thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You could try contacting Canvas Support to see if they can help: Help link --> Report a Problem

jenwon
Community Participant

I tried upping the file storage size on my course, and I am having one of my students try now. If that does not work, I certainly will contact Canvas Support.  Thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

This guide explains how you can check to see how close you are to your course file storage limit - Where can I find course statistics on file storage?

dward3
Community Participant

Does the 500 MB maximum file size apply if an instructor is embedding a video within a page? (rather than uploading into the files area?)

I ask because we have seen that these embedded files don't count against total site file storage limits, but we still seem to get an error msg when trying to embed files larger than 500 MB.

thanks,

Doug

Yes, dward, the 500MB file upload limit applies to all uploads, including videos that are uploaded through the Insert Media tool in the Rich Content Editor. You will see that explained here: What types of files are supported in Canvas?

We strongly recommend that when designing video-intensive courses schools consider hosting the videos elsewhere and simply linking out to or embedding them.