cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michelle_cicca2
Community Member

What makes a student name and login ID show up as a 21-digit number?

Jump to solution

I now have 12 High School students who are showing up as numbers instead of people: the student name and login ID for each of these students has turned into a 21-digit number. I can't tell which number goes to which student. What made their login IDs go bad and how can I fix it? They can change it in settings, but it always reverts back to the numbers instead of their names. They are in various different sections and even different courses. I'm using a Free Teacher Account, so I can't fix their profile info myself, nor do I have an admin. We are trying out different systems to see which one we want to recommend for adoption, and this is happening to all who are trying out Canvas. Anyone else run into this or know what's causing it and how to fix it?

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
garth
Community Champion

@michelle_cicca2 ​ I am not very familiar with the FFT part of Canvas, but are you importing users using SIS Import?

Is there any chance the user records are getting overwritten by the import?

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I've never heard of this happening, but my recommendation is to contact Canvas Support to have them take a look and see if they can fix it. To do this click on the Help link (bottom left) and "Report a Problem."

Yes, I did submit the problem to Canvas Support when I was unable to find any solutions here in the discussions area. They told me it happens when students sign on with Google, and to have the kids login, go to Profile > Settings > Edit and change their username. Unfortunately, we had already tried that solution, countless times (it was the first thing we tried), but regardless of how students tried to save that setting before exiting the Profile screen,  the 21-digit number came back as soon as they left the profile area. We even had them try it from 3 different internet browsers (Safari, Chrome, and Firefox). Also, it happened to kids who did not click "sign on with Google." However, our school accounts, though "Google" is not in the name, are through Google for Education, so maybe that is part of the problem. I don't have time to analyze it in any more depth, now that I have found a solution, I need to catch up. I was just interested in returning to the discussion board to share the solution, in case anyone else runs into this issue. At this time, we are only using Free For Teacher accounts while we wait for our school district to make decisions, so we expect some things to be less than perfect. But I can't think we are the only ones who ever ran into this, so I thought I'd save others some time and frustration by posting our solution.

9 Replies
garth
Community Champion

@michelle_cicca2 ​ I am not very familiar with the FFT part of Canvas, but are you importing users using SIS Import?

Is there any chance the user records are getting overwritten by the import?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I've never heard of this happening, but my recommendation is to contact Canvas Support to have them take a look and see if they can fix it. To do this click on the Help link (bottom left) and "Report a Problem."

Not importing from SIS. It has happened in response to students enrolling themselves and also in response to me enrolling them by clicking on +People and adding the student email address or adding "Last,First" <email address> format. Not to many, about 10%. I was just wondering if this was happening to others and if anyone had run into a solution.

michelle_cicca2
Community Member

Through much trial and error, we found this sequence corrects the problem, so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else has run into this. We have not had one teacher start a course without at least a few students having this problem, so it seems weird if we are the only school seeing it. Here is how to fix it...

• If a student ID and username are appearing as a 21-digit number, and
  • The student has tried to go into Profile Settings and correct the username, but
  • After they click on “save,” the username reverts back to the 21-digit number, then
  • Try this sequence of steps in this exact order...

(It is now working for my students with 100% accuracy)

Simplified Version first (fully spelled-out 12-step version to follow)

Try to login to Canvas, when it rejects you, start a new account with same email/pw using the course join code, when it rejects you, login, when it rejects you, request pw reset, use same pw. Do not leave out any steps or use new/diff email/pw combo.

Fully Spelled-Out 12-Step Version

1. Go to Canvas and try to Login 
  2. Use your regular school email address and password
  3. When it tells you this is invalid, start a new student account with the course join code and the same school email address and password as usual (it is critical that you attempt to start a new student account with the same email address and password before you continue)
  4. When you get the message that this email already exists, x out of the popup and go to the upper right corner to click on Login
  5. Use your regular school email address and password to join the course
  6. When it tells you this is invalid, request a new password
  7. type in your same school email address
  8. Go check your email: you are looking for an email from Instructure
  9. In the email, click on the link to set a new password
  10. Use the same school password as usual
  11. Now try to Login to Canvas with the same school email and password BUT
  12. Make sure to click on the check box to save this login and, for Chrome users, yes, save the password.

You should now be good to go. IF your login messes up again, on your laptop or on your phone, run through this sequence again.

You should not have to jump through hoops.

Have you tried contacting Canvas support about this?

What was their response?

Yes, I did submit the problem to Canvas Support when I was unable to find any solutions here in the discussions area. They told me it happens when students sign on with Google, and to have the kids login, go to Profile > Settings > Edit and change their username. Unfortunately, we had already tried that solution, countless times (it was the first thing we tried), but regardless of how students tried to save that setting before exiting the Profile screen,  the 21-digit number came back as soon as they left the profile area. We even had them try it from 3 different internet browsers (Safari, Chrome, and Firefox). Also, it happened to kids who did not click "sign on with Google." However, our school accounts, though "Google" is not in the name, are through Google for Education, so maybe that is part of the problem. I don't have time to analyze it in any more depth, now that I have found a solution, I need to catch up. I was just interested in returning to the discussion board to share the solution, in case anyone else runs into this issue. At this time, we are only using Free For Teacher accounts while we wait for our school district to make decisions, so we expect some things to be less than perfect. But I can't think we are the only ones who ever ran into this, so I thought I'd save others some time and frustration by posting our solution.

@michelle_cicca2  that feedback is very helpful.

Knowing the issue is related to login from a specific origin is an important detail.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm having the same problem.  Wow that's a heck of a bunch of crap to have to do to fix the problem.  My kids aren't using Google Classroom, so that eliminates that possibility.

tmoynihan1
Community Participant

I did not have to do all of that.  When my student's names appeared as numbers I simply told them to go to their profile and change their name. 

My school uses google accounts so I have my student log onto their school google account (by having then check their school email.)

Then sent them to canvas and had them click on the "G" for logging in with google. 

Then I had them go a google doc I had on "anyone can view" and told them to click on the link to enroll in my course. 

Then I had them go to account profile and change their name.

Hope that helps someone.

Tim