cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdelillo
Community Champion

What permission controls an admin's ability to add SIS ID field for new users?

Jump to solution

I am an account-level admin. When I manually add a new user, this box pops up. Notice the SIS ID field.

accountadduser.jpg

We have campus admins, for whom we created a custom role with fewer permissions. When a campus admin manually adds a new user, this box pops up. Notice the LACK of SIS ID field.

campusadduser.jpg

Obviously, I'm trying to figure out what prevents the campus admins from having that field available to them. They have all appropriate permissions related to adding/seeing/modifying users and login details. My best guess was some permission with "SIS" in it, but those are limited to "Read SIS data" (which they have), and "Import and Manage SIS data" (which they do not). Does anyone know definitively if "Import and Manage SIS data" is the culprit?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Tracey,

As an update to this discussion, the SIS permissions have now been split as of this upcoming release (April 2). Notes about the split are in beta: Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-03-21)

I've made sure to include this information as part of updates to our documentation as well!

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tdelillo ​...

I'm not sure of an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I have shared your question with the Canvas Developers​ and Canvas Admins​ groups here in the Canvas Community.  Hopefully, your question will now get some more exposure in hopes that someone will be able to assist you with your question.  Hope this is okay with you!

nr2522
Community Champion

Hi, Tracey.

I haven't tried it out, but most likely, they need the account permissions called "Read SIS data" and "Import and manage SIS data".

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@tdelillo ​, did you have a chance to test  @nr2522 ​'s suggestion, and if so, did those account permissions successfully enable the "Add SIS" field for the new users?

Sorry, I should have updated this earlier - my awesome CSM Deactivated user​ confirmed last week that the SIS ID field is tied to the "Import and Manage SIS Data" permission.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Tracey,

As an update to this discussion, the SIS permissions have now been split as of this upcoming release (April 2). Notes about the split are in beta: Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-03-21)

I've made sure to include this information as part of updates to our documentation as well!

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

I saw that last night and I was super excited! #happypandadance