cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
william_dastrup
Community Participant

What permissions are necessary to modify the size of a course (file storage)?

What permissions are necessary to modify the size of a course (file storage)?

Tags (1)
7 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @william_dastrup ,

That is a very good question, I had a poke around https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Account.pdf  and https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf 

The account document addresses the setting of the defaults, but the course doesn't mention anything (and I only have systems where I have admin permissions so checking is problematic).

I therefore will share this with the Canvas Admins‌ group, as I hope someone there may be able to shed some additional light on this for you.

Hope that helps!
Stuart

tdelillo
Community Champion

It MIGHT be the "Courses - add/edit/delete" permission. Part of the description for that permission is:

Course Settings (Course Details tab): Allows user to access the Navigation tab in Course Settings. Allows user to access Student View (test student), Copy this Course, Reset Course Content, and Permanently Delete Course buttons. Allows user to edit course image, name, course code, time zone, subaccount, term, and other options in Course Details tab.
Since the file storage quota is part of the course details, this would make sense. Also, it corresponds with what I've seen at my institution, in that only our Account Admins can edit the File Storage and no other role can (and the other roles don't have the "Courses - add/edit/delete" permission)
william_dastrup
Community Participant

so i did some testing.  Under account roles there is a permission called Storage Quotas - manage i added this to our course designers and they were able to change the course setting file storage.  It would be nice if this course be controlled by a course role however.

That's interesting, because my understanding was that that permission only allowed the admin to change the overall default, not individual course quotas. And our custom role ("Campus Admin") has the Storage Quotas permission and is NOT able to adjust individual course file storage.

Does your campus admin user have rights in the same account or sub-account as where the course is located?

Yes, they do have that permission in the account. If you're seeing something different, I wonder if it's because we create our courses via SIS Import. I have long found that there are some mystery differences for our institution because our course creation is SIS-driven instead of manual.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@william_dastrup ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie