cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmerkel
Community Contributor

What permissions trigger Commons admin access?

We have a few custom custom admin roles for various users. According to the documentation, admins are supposed to have access to the admin tab in Canvas. However, our custom roles don't have that access.

Are there specific permissions that will trigger access to that tab in Commons? I'd rather not make someone a full Canvas admin just to handle Commons.

Tags (2)
4 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

@bmerkel ​ - I may be wrong on this, but I believe with the advent of groups replacing sub-accounts that this may have changed.  If you are not already in the Group, I recommend you join the Commons Group, as there is an overview of these new roles here:  FAQ: Migration from Sharing Content from Sub-Accounts to Groups in Commons. My general understanding is that this part, specifically, will be key for you:

• Anyone who has access to a sub-account’s resources, such as, admins, teachers, course designers, or TAs (including custom roles that have these shared settings), will automatically be members of the corresponding Commons group, provided those users access Commons between 6/12/2016 and 9/15/2016.
  • Any new users added to a sub-account with an existing corresponding Commons group will also be members, provided they access Commons between 6/12/2016 and 9/15/2016.

In our case, for example, we had next to no one who accessed Commons between those dates, so I was left with creating groups from scratch.  As you might imagine many folks were not especially happy, since adding them in is a manual process--with an API coming down the road.  Most of the exchanges among the Community can be found in the latest Release Notes for Commons here:

Commons Release Notes (2016-06-12)

I hope this helps a bit...at least with determining why some of these permissions may not have carried over.  Having said that, I'm not too certain that custom roles would have carried over, anyway, but that's all water under the bridge at this point in time given the way Commons is organized now.

bmerkel
Community Contributor

Thanks Ken

The key for me is how to delegate the oversight of all Commons groups to a few of my coworkers without making them a full Canvas Admin. Allow them to make groups and handle the access rights without me having to create the group and add them every time we need a new group.

Brian

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bmerkel ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

bmerkel
Community Contributor

Unfortunately, I haven't. I've tried everything I can think of and still no luck short of making someone a full system admin.

I'm assuming that this is a side effect since they decoupled Commons from the subaccount structure. It's a bummer since our subaccount structure serves as a great basis for using commons internally, at least for us.