cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smithma
Community Participant

What's the Permission to Allow for a Profile's Title Edit?

Jump to solution

I'm a new admin user here just learning the ropes. Smiley Happy

As for profile permissions, how would I allow my account users to edit the Title in their profile? Was searching for "profile permissions," but not sure I am getting the answer I need. Can someone send me the link to this info or guide me in the right direction? Attached is what I found in some documentation so you know what I am referring to. Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tdelillo
Community Champion

@smithma ‌ - I had this same question a while back and opened a ticket with Canvas Support. They noted that it's not actually tied to a permission, but a setting - at the account level, you have to enable the "Users can edit their name" option (explained in How do I set details for an account? ).

This is a little bit frustrating, as we turned that option off to prevent students from making themselves unidentifiable to their teachers (removing last names, making up aliases, etc.). If you're interested, there was a feature request to make this setting role-based, so that we could allow our faculty and staff to edit their job titles without having to enable the setting and risk students messing around with it again. ( https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4640 ). It has been archived, but I never give up on good feature ideas. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

3 Replies
tdelillo
Community Champion

@smithma ‌ - I had this same question a while back and opened a ticket with Canvas Support. They noted that it's not actually tied to a permission, but a setting - at the account level, you have to enable the "Users can edit their name" option (explained in How do I set details for an account? ).

This is a little bit frustrating, as we turned that option off to prevent students from making themselves unidentifiable to their teachers (removing last names, making up aliases, etc.). If you're interested, there was a feature request to make this setting role-based, so that we could allow our faculty and staff to edit their job titles without having to enable the setting and risk students messing around with it again. ( https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4640 ). It has been archived, but I never give up on good feature ideas. Smiley Happy

smithma
Community Participant

Thanks a lot, Tracey DeLillo, for the quick reply. That's the info I needed for now.

jpmartin
Community Member

Is editing the Title the same as Editing the Display Name? I do not see a TItle field option.