Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbunag

What's the best way to set up a gameshow-style buzzer for groups in a classroom?

Jump to solution

I thought this was a fun question to think about before the weekend:

I had a faculty member ask this question, along with the addition of, "Can Canvas do this?"  Not natively, of course, but perhaps someone here has thought of a work-around or found an app or LTI that can integrate with Canvas (or not) that could fit this use case.  It would need to:

• Record who has buzzed in first in response to a question (along the lines of Jeopardy)
  • Communicate this information clearly
  • Be cheap, preferably free
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@tbunag ‌, the first application that comes to mind is Kahoot (Making Learning Awesome! - Kahoot! ) which works almost exactly as you've described. The awesome  @kmeeusen  has figured out a way to embed it in Canvas (Has anyone ever embedded/used a Kahoot in Canvas? ).   And, it is free. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@tbunag ‌, the first application that comes to mind is Kahoot (Making Learning Awesome! - Kahoot! ) which works almost exactly as you've described. The awesome  @kmeeusen  has figured out a way to embed it in Canvas (Has anyone ever embedded/used a Kahoot in Canvas? ).   And, it is free. Smiley Happy

stefaniesanders

I use Kahoot! in my classes and I must be missing the option that would allow this. It shows the number of people who have answered the question, but not who that person was. It continues to show the question until the time is up and then shows the correct answer. I don't know of a way of seeing who was the first one to answer except to go to the saved results once the game is over.

I would love to be missing something so cool, so if you know how to make Kahoot! do this, could you share?

@James , it's been a while since I saw Kahoot in action, but I thought each question result featured the person who responded correctly most quickly. But probably not... 😞

And I noticed on their website that they've added an enhancement called Podium: Introducing our newest Kahoot! Experiment - Podium - Kahoot! which will show the top three at the end.

Maybe it's the options I pick, but it shows the top 5 scorers so far in the game based on their total. If there is only one question, then it would be that, but if the person "buzzes" in with the wrong answer, it won't show it.  It also makes you wait the full time or until everyone has answered. Again, I might just be choosing the wrong options, so if someone knows the right ones, I seriously would love to know because that would open up some other gaming opportunities for me.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tbunag ‌...

I did a bit of searching on Google, and I came across this website: Using GoogleForms for a Simple Classroom Buzzer | Wayland High School's One-to-One iPad Pilot.  I realize that this person's post is from September 28, 2012, but maybe it would at least give you an idea of what might be possible using a Google Form (of course, things may have changed over time).  But, I thought it was interesting that this person was basically using a one-question form to collect student names that populated in a spreadsheet.  I would think there would be some initial setup involved on the your end, and you may end up needing to provide your students with a short URL (use bit.ly, for example) so that they could easily navigate to the form on their mobile device.  Anyway...it's probably not the best solution out there, but it may work for your needs.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @tbunag ‌ -- This sounds like a really fun idea! I use a few different review games with my high school students, but I don't necessarily need the same criteria as the faculty member you described requested. Due to the nature of the question, I think a discussion would be better, as there is likely more than one "correct" answer! I'm also going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12?sr=search&searchId=6c98a4ce-f83c-4c86-8cbd-b5f495d4b120&s...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed?sr=search&searchId=33bca3ad-d5b3-461b-9805-badf5afd...‌ groups to see if a few more people can contribute!

Thank you - yes, I think that'll help!

The faculty member who asked the question has already done the lesson for it, but she will almost certainly want to do a game like this again next year.  Having some ideas on hand will be really helpful